[ solved] Github and commits

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tonyaimer

[ solved] Github and commits

Post by tonyaimer »

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25288 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: bbb557aab6129efd9486d6df19f06c2976fdb7e5
Python version: 3.9.6
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/South Africa (en_ZA)

I do not fully understand what commits are in githubspeak. Are they the updates that specific people have made to the FreeCAD program? Are these changes monitored/evaluated by anyone prior to being sent forth? I do appreciate the efforts of all the individuals who work on this program but I am a bit curious about how all this is controlled.

I would like to know what changes have been made since the last release and i cant find them by searching github but I am probably asking the wrong questions. chrisb did give us a link some weeks back for a specific release.

I have adopted the policy of keeping as up to date as possible and from the details above you will see that I think I have the latest version. I use the appimage option on the edit-preferences icon on the left hand column. Seems to work for me.

How can I check what may have been added or updated or fixed in this latest release. Cant find anything on the forum but then again I may not be asking the correct question!

Regards

Tony Aimer
Last edited by tonyaimer on Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Github and commits

Post by drmacro »

Hmm...git is not a FreeCAD thing only.

There are tons of intro and explanations on the web and YouTube.

For example:
A commit, or "revision", is an individual change to a file (or set of files). It's like when you save a file, except with Git, every time you save it creates a unique ID (a.k.a. the "SHA" or "hash") that allows you to keep record of what changes were made when and by who.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

tonyaimer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm I do not fully understand what commits are in githubspeak. Are they the updates that specific people have made to the FreeCAD program?
Yes.
tonyaimer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm Are these changes monitored/evaluated by anyone prior to being sent forth?
Changes are strictly controlled by a very small set of experts. Everything is tested and needs to meet compatibility requirements before it becomes part of a release.

Occasionally some problem slips through because a side effect was not foreseen, but absolutely not because some wild coder inserted garbage.

Gene
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

tonyaimer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm
How can I check what may have been added or updated or fixed in this latest release. Cant find anything on the forum but then again I may not be asking the correct question!

Regards

Tony Aimer
In FreeCAD go to the Start page, click the Activity tab. You can follow the hyperlinks to drill down into more detail individual commits.
Snip macro screenshot-d25b9a.png
Snip macro screenshot-d25b9a.png (189.91 KiB) Viewed 979 times
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

tonyaimer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm I do not fully understand what commits are in githubspeak
git is a VCS (version control system). FreeCAD happens to host it's code repo using this VCS on GitHub.
A commit is a change/group of changes to the code.
The SHA or hash identifies the changes and marks a specific point in the history of the entire code base.
A commit will have an author and a commiter (they may be the same)
FreeCAD has "integrators" that have "merge rights" too add changes to the official FreeCAD code hosted here https://github.com/freecad/freecad The person who merges the code is "merger" or the "commiter"
FreeCAD has "main integrators", mmayer and yorik, that manage the entire code base, and "workbench maintainers" that manage their subject matter expertise. By "manage" I mean "merge rights" to FreeCAD master. An example of "workbench maintainer" would be sliptonic and the PATH WB.
A normal contributor would make changes to a local copy of FreeCAD, using commit(s) and submit a "Pull Request" to the above repo.
The integrators evelauate the code and merge/commit to the master code base.

FreeCAD's version is of the form Major.Minor.commit count, so 0.20.25288 means there have been 25288 commits to FreeCAD master, the specific commit is identified as Hash: bbb557aab6129efd9486d6df19f06c2976fdb7e5

All this happens on GitHub, not the forum. https://github.com/freecad/freecad
As of the time of this posting FreeCAD master is ahead of your build
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (24.15 KiB) Viewed 969 times
If you click on the commit you get a window showing all the recent commits, looking back to the hash from your version you can see what is new.
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (46.12 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Hope this helps.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Hey @sgrogan, JFYI, github has a dark theme options, :shock: :lol:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
tonyaimer

Re: [ solved] Github and commits

Post by tonyaimer »

Thanks for the inputs - I have a better idea of what goes on now.

I see some of the commits refer to WB issues so presumably we need to reload these.

Regards

Tony Aimer
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: [ solved] Github and commits

Post by TheMarkster »

tonyaimer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:11 pm Thanks for the inputs - I have a better idea of what goes on now.

I see some of the commits refer to WB issues so presumably we need to reload these.

Regards

Tony Aimer
No, when you update FreeCAD these workbenches will be automatically updated. The only workbenches you would need to reload/update would be workbenches outside of FreeCAD main (not included in the default installation in other words), but none of these commits will show up in the activity tab. You'd have to look at the individual workbench github repositories, maintained by the authors of those workbenches, to see their latest commits.