[SOLVED] Display problem using Linux Fedora

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wawa3D

[SOLVED] Display problem using Linux Fedora

Post by wawa3D »

I'm having a display problem... using Fedora 34 and FreeCad 0.19.
It looks like a large white rectangle is attached to the viewport.
Have a look at the attached image. I have the background set to "simple colour".
Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
freecad_view.png
freecad_view.png (348.86 KiB) Viewed 377 times
Last edited by wawa3D on Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Display problem using Linux Fedora

Post by thomas-neemann »

wawa3D wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 am
After all, what I have read here and my own experience are ubuntu systems such as e.g. xubuntu best suited for freecad.

is that a possibility for you?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!
Try the following alternative route (if only to test if it's an FC or Linux distribution problem):
- from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds download the standalone distribution (it does not need installation and has all the dependencies and libraries inside) FreeCAD_weekly-builds-25288- Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage;
- in your home create a folder with the name of the distribution (eg FreeCad_020) and place the downloaded file there, click with the right mouse button and open the properties, give the execution permissions.
- Start FreeCad (* .AppImage) with a double click;
- if everything works, download a FreeCad icon, insert it in the folder (FreeCad_020) of your home, create the shortcut on the desktop specifying the application icon and the path.
wawa3D

Post by wawa3D »

thomas-neemann wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:42 am
wawa3D wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 am
After all, what I have read here and my own experience are ubuntu systems such as e.g. xubuntu best suited for freecad.

is that a possibility for you?
not really... I need Fedora for other applications... thanks for the reply anyway
wawa3D

Post by wawa3D »

domad wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:24 pm Greetings to the Community!
Try the following alternative route (if only to test if it's an FC or Linux distribution problem):
- from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds download the standalone distribution (it does not need installation and has all the dependencies and libraries inside) FreeCAD_weekly-builds-25288- Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage;
- in your home create a folder with the name of the distribution (eg FreeCad_020) and place the downloaded file there, click with the right mouse button and open the properties, give the execution permissions.
- Start FreeCad (* .AppImage) with a double click;
- if everything works, download a FreeCad icon, insert it in the folder (FreeCad_020) of your home, create the shortcut on the desktop specifying the application icon and the path.
Ok that worked... thanks for your help... probably a missing or incorrect library... thanks again - wawa3D