Creating ribs to match complex shape?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TWrecks

Creating ribs to match complex shape?

Post by TWrecks »

At times I want to create structures like ribs along a complex shape typically generated from a solid using the "Thickness" tool. The PAD tool doesn't support padding to a non-planar face. Currently I am working with the PartDesign workbench, but in the past I have use Part workbench to do a Boolean AND operation with the rough rib and original solid to trim the rib to match the shape. This doesn't seem readily possible in the PartDesign workbench.

What is the recommended way of doing this?

Thanks!

Tim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
seatback.png
seatback.png (145.34 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Creating ribs to match complex shape?

Post by chrisb »

You can either sketch the ribs from the side or use the type to-first if you want to pad to a non linear face.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TWrecks

Post by TWrecks »

The "to first" method doesn't work as it stops as soon as any part of the rib touches the face. Likewise "to last" goes to far.

The side-pad method kind of works, but the hard part of that is matching the rib contour to contour of the face. In the case shown here, the face is is curving in multiple planes. I wasn't able to select a refence edge edge for the rib sketch either, I had to just fudge it. Then when padding it very far, as the contour changes the rib pad begins to detach from or protrude through the face.

One method I played with was to use Part WB "Section" tool to trace in 2D the contour where it is to meet the rib. Then Draft WB to convert Draft to Sketch, and use that as a starting point for the rib side pad, but still has issues similar to above if padded very far.

The Boolean AND seemed the best workaround but I can't get it work in the PartDesign WB.

Tim
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

It will pad using "up to face". It might take selecting a couple times, you can see that I made the boss and padded down to the complex face. You need to select the face to pad to.
Attachments
face_it.JPG
face_it.JPG (54.85 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
TWrecks

Post by TWrecks »

Pad "up to face" works until I extended the rib beyond the smooth contour in the middle into the areas as shown in red, then it gives "resulting shape is empty". It only lets me select one face, but there are 3 involved.

The side pad method is kludgey but I did get what more or less what I wanted.

Thanks!

Tim
pad_failed.png
pad_failed.png (176.93 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Ya, I kind of thought you were merging into the sides. I use sketcher with model transparency set to a see-thru, then I can see into the solid to adjust the sketch elements. This is pretty much my work flow all the time.

In case you want to try, I have written a macro the sets global transparency, it really helps in Sketcher, 100 is the standard solid. I set to 50 or 5 while in Sketcher and 100 in normal model mode, but it can also be useful to see thru the model (for fit) outside of Sketcher.
Attachments
vis-3x.JPG
vis-3x.JPG (11.62 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Vision_3_levels.FCMacro
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

"To last" should work:
SnipScreenshot-368815.png
SnipScreenshot-368815.png (27.31 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
I may add, that To forst and To last are stable with respect to the topological naming, while Up to face is not.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

Chrisb

Does FC have directly model like abilities

Aka

Break the rib task into two steps

Pad it onto a compatible surface and then grow it left and right into the walls ?
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
TWrecks

Post by TWrecks »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:10 am "To last" should work
It also gave me a "shape is empty" error when the pad crossed those lines. The line that makes boundary is a b-spline, that may be part of the issue.

I still like the method of AND'ing the rib with the original solid (before the thickness step) but I'm not sure how to do that in the PartDesign WB.

Tim
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

TWrecks wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:33 am The side-pad method kind of works, but the hard part of that is matching the rib contour to contour of the face.
contour of the interior face or exterior face ?

File ?