Processing speed

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kittywake

Processing speed

Post by Kittywake »

Hello, I'm having a question concerning processing speed. I'm working on a pretty complex fully parametric model, and the scene is getting a bit slow when changing a parameter. Now I'm thinking of optimizing the scene. My question here is, are expressions linking to a spreadsheet slower processed then for example clones, shape binders and constraints in sketches? Thanks in advance.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Processing speed

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you make a change in any cell of a spreadsheet, all objects depending on something in the spreadsheet are recomputed, independently from the changed cell. Thus using other techniques can speed things up. You may also consider to use more than one spreadsheet, or objects from the DynamicData addon workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

Certainly tools are also more Time consuming to calculate

Interesting suggestion with spreadsheets chrisb

I was actually curious when using a spreadsheet or sketch reference between bodies how would freecad handle the export of a particular part into a new file ?
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To my knowledge none of the export formats supports spreadsheets.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

A couple more ways:

1) You can reduce the model Tessellation, you will need a macro to do it globally. I have made some.

2) I have never tried this but for PartDesign (depending on what you need to work on) you could find some of your more complex Bodies and set the Tip to an early feature, this is kind of like setting a lite-feature in other CAD. It should increase speed because there are less calculations to be done, screen and object.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

freedman wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:35 pm 2) I have never tried this but for PartDesign (depending on what you need to work on) you could find some of your more complex Bodies and set the Tip to an early feature, this is kind of like setting a lite-feature in other CAD. It should increase speed because there are less calculations to be done, screen and object.
Does this really work?

I'll try next time I make a complex model.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Bance wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:17 pm Does this really work?
It works only partially. The body is completely recomputed, with all the features lying now behind the tip. So no gain there.
But if you use the whole body e.g. in Part booleans, then only tip is taken into account, which can make the recompute faster, e.g. by suppressing fillets and chamfers in the body.