PartDesign Gui (Editing Revolve and Helix selection logic)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Gui (Editing Revolve and Helix selection logic)

Post by chrisb »

With the primitives I have the feeling it is quite natural to realign them, at least that's what I often want if I double click on them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

After more testing it appears (at least on my Win10 system) the Revolve "Update view" works differently than the Helix Update view.
If I uncheck the "Update view" on a Helix edit, and then select an Origin Axis in the 3D I see an update in the task panel Axis field. Can someone verify this, it looks like TheMarkster has different results.
TheMarkster » wrote
I couldn't reproduce the issue with the additive helix
and
Edit: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4944
That looks right on target, Thanks TheMarkster
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 am If I uncheck the "Update view" on a Helix edit, and then select an Origin Axis in the 3D continues to update the task panel Axis field. Can someone verify this, it looks like TheMarkster has different results.
I cannot confirm. Nothing is updated here if the "Update view" box is unchecked.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Thanks chrisb.
Since I see this issue differently on my system I will make a general statement:

The "Update view" is common to Revolve, Helix, both Additive and Subtractive functions, whatever code is used to fix the Revolve should probably be inserted in the others.

I also see some issues with selection being automatically enabled with Datum selection but I'm not sure how these should work.

Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:30 pm The "Update view" is common to Revolve, Helix, both Additive and Subtractive functions, whatever code is used to fix the Revolve should probably be inserted in the others.
The selection mechanism via click into 3D view should be enabled if and only if "Select reference ..." is chosen. This is never the case on entering the panel.