When is a solid not a solid?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: When is a solid not a solid?

Post by chrisb »

domad wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:26 am - reduce the constraints as much as possible;
- prefer geometric constraints to dimensional ones.
While I'm fully with you concerning the second advice, I'm not so sure about the first: For a given set of geometric elements you have a fixed number of degrees of freedom, which have to be consumed by constraints. Minimizing this number can only be achieved by using constraints consuming more than one degree of freedom, and I agree that you should e.g. prefer point-to-point orthogonality over coincidence plus line-line-orthogonality. But further reduction is only possible by reducing the number of geometric elements.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:46 am ...........
Hi chrisb, Good morning to the Community!

.... as often happens, unfortunately the translations do not always hit the "target", perhaps it was better to write "for what
possible" and "simplify" instead of "reducing".
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi domad, I'm sure we are heading for the same: good sketches. And that means it is not only worth, but almost a must, to really think about how to constrain it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.