What options exist for reorganizing objects in the tree ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LHC

What options exist for reorganizing objects in the tree ?

Post by LHC »

Greetings -

I'm working with a large step file that has multiple levels in various part containers along with a mess of random shapes that are tossed in here and there throughout the document. Not my work - just something I downloaded, imported and want to start working with - and the first step is renaming everything from cyrillic to English ! I will then start creating parts/bodies etc. in part design.

I am needing to reorganize the tree and I can't seem to find much in the way of productivity tools for dealing with large deep trees. If there is, I'd like to hear about it so I can learn. If not, then I will not waste hours looking for it :lol:

Thanks.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25311 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c5524bb58a7126fa2242d6137eb82ee9d54e82d4
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
openBrain
Veteran

Re: What options exist for reorganizing objects in the tree ?

Post by openBrain »

Today these are tweaks by moving objects in and out of Groups.
There is currently a PR to add ability to move objects up and down in the tree.
LHC

Post by LHC »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:20 pm Today these are tweaks by moving objects in and out of Groups.
There is currently a PR to add ability to move objects up and down in the tree.
Ok - thanks !
LHC

Post by LHC »

Back again after using the groups for a bit. They will certainly help matters with the large step model I am trying to clean up and reorganize.

One thing I have noticed - when you create a new group - it flings the group to the outermost level of the tree. I tried to make a part container active in the hopes that the the group could automatically be nested inside the active part container but it still ends up at the end of the tree in the outermost layer.

I don't know the ramifications of this but might it be a useful thing to place the group within the active part ? Just a random thought.

Looking forward to the day when that PR to shuffle object locations in the tree is merged !

Thanks
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Last edited by ragohix769 on Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

LHC wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:06 pm ...
One thing I have noticed - when you create a new group - it flings the group to the outermost level of the tree....
At least at this point, a Group is a top level container.

I don't know if the PR you refer to will effect that. TBH I didn't check the extent of the PR. 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
LHC

Post by LHC »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:28 pm
LHC wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:06 pm ...
One thing I have noticed - when you create a new group - it flings the group to the outermost level of the tree....
At least at this point, a Group is a top level container.

I don't know if the PR you refer to will effect that. TBH I didn't check the extent of the PR. 8-)
I seem to be plodding along quite nicely with the groups at the moment organizing my step file assy, but there are a few other "be nice to have" things that are coming to mind in the process. One would be the ability to "isolate" a shape that is buried way down in the tree. ie turn everything off except for that. At the moment there's a lot of scrolling and clicking going on to achieve the same end result.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

There is the search function in the tree and the selection pane (I think it has a search function as well).

And, there is a macro for hiding things in the tree. I've not tried it, but I think it will find, in the tree, an object selected in the 3D view (and some toggle capabilities). There was a rather long thread about finding stuff in long trees where it was discussed.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Macro_Visibility_Manager can be used to make visible objects either by type (e.g. part, sketch, pad, body) or individually.
LHC

Post by LHC »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:44 pm There is the search function in the tree and the selection pane (I think it has a search function as well).

And, there is a macro for hiding things in the tree. I've not tried it, but I think it will find, in the tree, an object selected in the 3D view (and some toggle capabilities). There was a rather long thread about finding stuff in long trees where it was discussed.
Haven't found that long thread yet, but did tinker a bit with the search. If I click on the face of an object in the 3dview, then copy the label from the property portion of the combo view and paste it into the search I get with a right click on the document name in the top of the tree, I get the tree opened up to the object in question. Multiple clicks to get there, but it does work. Thanks !