how to connect or refer a sketch to the geometry of another body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
giant1114

Re: how to connect or refer a sketch to the geometry of another body

Post by giant1114 »

I can see the "shapebinder" but I assume the vertex of the line I draw should snap to the shape binder but it doesn't. If that's not how it works how do I connect?
giant1114

Post by giant1114 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:08 pm The most frequent error with ShapeBinders is, that their source is still visible and then you cannot select them. I recommend to make everything invisible except the ShapeBinder..
I also tried this but still no luck.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

giant1114 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:32 am I can see the "shapebinder" but I assume the vertex of the line I draw should snap to the shape binder but it doesn't.
A vertex doesn't snap all by its own. You have to use the shapebinder together with Sketcher External.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
giant1114

Post by giant1114 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:55 am
giant1114 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:32 am I can see the "shapebinder" but I assume the vertex of the line I draw should snap to the shape binder but it doesn't.
A vertex doesn't snap all by its own. You have to use the shapebinder together with Sketcher External.
Ok Thanks, that helped.