Duplicating a solid within a compound whilst preserving coordinates

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ChrisFC

Duplicating a solid within a compound whilst preserving coordinates

Post by ChrisFC »

Hi all.

I have a solid, that is part of a compound object. There is also an axes/origin associated with this solid, within the compound object.

I do not see the need for the single solid to be in a compound object, and so I initially tried to just copy and paste the object. When I did this, the object's locations was different, presumably because there was no longer the axes/origin associated with the object, telling it where it actually needs to be positioned.
Screenshot from 2021-08-03 13-25-06.png
Screenshot from 2021-08-03 13-25-06.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Is there a way to duplicate/copy such a solid, such that its correct position is preserved? The only way I could think of doing this involved duplicating the entire compound object, which defeats the point of what I am trying to do.

Cheers,
Chris
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Duplicating a solid within a compound whilst preserving coordinates

Post by drmacro »

This is typical of imported solids (step models for example).

I you move them before putting them in a container, they will move back to their original location.

This is due to the way the LCS and the Placement object are handled internally...long story. :roll:

You can try to move the solid outside the container(this "breaks" it's association with the container), then move it, or if you are subsequently going to put it in another container (for example a Part Design Body) put it in the container, then move it while in the container.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
ChrisFC

Post by ChrisFC »

drmacro wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:54 pm This is typical of imported solids (step models for example).

I you move them before putting them in a container, they will move back to their original location.

This is due to the way the LCS and the Placement object are handled internally...long story. :roll:

You can try to move the solid outside the container(this "breaks" it's association with the container), then move it, or if you are subsequently going to put it in another container (for example a Part Design Body) put it in the container, then move it while in the container.
Yes, this CAD all came from a step file funnily enough. I'm not sure what you mean by 'container' :z So there is no way to do what I want?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

ChrisFC wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:54 pm ... I'm not sure what you mean by 'container' :z So there is no way to do what I want?
A Body object Image is a container, the Std_Part Image (in your image this is all yellow) are containers.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Not entirely sure if this applies here or not, but you can try in Part menu -> create a copy -> create transformed copy.