Creating Solid object out of mesh

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nickcad

Creating Solid object out of mesh

Post by nickcad »

Hello everyone,
I am rather new to freecad and I wanna create custom holders for 3d Brain models. To accomplish that I have to get my mesh into a solid objective, but I am getting the error that my object is not a shell. Is there a way to fix that?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Creating Solid object out of mesh

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You have to create a "Shape from mesh" first in Part workbench. I may add that FreeCAD is not optimized to work with meshes having hundreds of thousands of triangles, and it doesn't work very well with such organic forms anyway. You may be better off with something like Blender which is optimized for meshes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
heda
Veteran

Re: Creating Solid object out of mesh

Post by heda »

nickcad wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:18 pm Is there a way to fix that?
yes, and there are plenty of posts describing how - the general process of how to is the same when "fixing it",
but since the files are always different, the specifics of what exactly needs to be fixed (and possibly how) is always a bit different.

it is generally boring and tedious work, and in some cases one have to resort to rebuilding parts of the mesh manually (which is possible in fc, but one can also use other tools). for tricker cases, generally it is a given that one has to build new trifaces by hand, i.e. click point for point.

here is one post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 3&start=20, and all the tools you need are in mesh design wb, just be careful of what you "fix" after an analysis, fix means delete, and you are likely to not want to delete everything that is tagged for deletion.

you can also take a look at https://github.com/mwganson/MeshRemodel