Can't create mesh from simple shape

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hdt551

Can't create mesh from simple shape

Post by hdt551 »

I have a very simple part (see test.FCStd renamed as .zip) which I cannot create a shape from.

I go to Mesh Design, select the Body then Meshes/Create mesh from shape...
I get the message "Select a shape from meshing, first."

I have done this many times with much more complex parts than this and I can see nothing wrong other than FreeCAD doesn't seem to know I have selected anything.

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) (XFCE/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25352 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 29c6f96ad41bfddf6ea86925a81d22fb24de44d0
Python version: 3.9.6
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
test.zip
(9.67 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Can't create mesh from simple shape

Post by chrisb »

Why did you rename the file? It causes additional work for everyone who wants to have a look at your file.

Edit: Your Body has no Tip.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
hdt551

Post by hdt551 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:28 am Why did you rename the file? It causes additional work for everyone who wants to have a look at your file.

Edit: Your Body has no Tip.
I renamed the file because the last time I tried to upload one, I believe I got a message saying I couldn't upload a file with that extension. I did not try this time, just renamed it.

No Tip. --- I see that now. Previously I did make a copy of the Body then deleted it later but I wouldn't know how to remove the Tip if I wanted to.

Thank you for the help.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You may have tried to upload a backup file. FreeCAD files work up to a limit of 1MB.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Perhaps you selected the Body (Body3inch), this does not work.
You must select the Pad (Padbase)
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

I don''t know of an "easy" way to remove the Tip. The way I found is to edit and Clear the Tip property of the Body. Which is at least 4 intentional clicks.
hdt551 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:58 pm I have a very simple part
Any idea how you managed that?
hdt551

Post by hdt551 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:08 am You may have tried to upload a backup file. FreeCAD files work up to a limit of 1MB.
That must have been what I did. I have never tried to upload a file as big as 1MB.
hdt551

Post by hdt551 »

Willem wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:57 am Perhaps you selected the Body (Body3inch), this does not work.
You must select the Pad (Padbase)
I have always selected the Body when making a mesh, I guess that only works when there is a Tip. I see that selecting the Pad also works if the Tip is missing.

Thanks
hdt551

Post by hdt551 »

kisolre wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:27 am I don''t know of an "easy" way to remove the Tip. The way I found is to edit and Clear the Tip property of the Body. Which is at least 4 intentional clicks.
hdt551 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:58 pm I have a very simple part
Any idea how you managed that?
I have went back through how I created the file and the problem (missing Tip) was because I started out using Realthunder's branch. There seems to be a bug in the "Edit/Duplicate selected object" function. I originally Duplicated a Body, then deleted the duplicate. Realthunder's branch then removes the Tip from the original Body. This doesn't happen in the official FreeCAD, but the damage was already done by the time I switched to official.

Sorry for the trouble.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

With git commit 89e4f21008 a more useful error message is shown. It now detects if a selected body has no tip set or if a part object doesn't contain faces.