Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FBXL5

Re: Sheetmetal offset problem

Post by FBXL5 »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:40 pm Can this product be produced in real life on a sheet metal machine?
That is not the point. It is just a quick and dirty design to test if the Extend Face tool places the slot(s) as expected.

I know this special feature for about three days now and haven't found a real world part yet that would benefit from it.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

it's recent, I did not know this function
it may be interesting for small "tin" toys whose assembly is done by small claws folded into slots
or also for small shielding boxes on electronic card
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

This improvement was introduced 10 months ago: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p453978
-alex-
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by -alex- »

shaise wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:55 am Why was the title of this thread changed, and how to change it back?
Could you please edit the 1st post of this thread then rename the title "Sheet Metal Workbench" ?
shaise

Post by shaise »

-alex- wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:22 am Could you please edit the 1st post of this thread then rename the title "Sheet Metal Workbench" ?
I already tried. It does not affect the thread subject, just the post
shaise

Post by shaise »

shaise wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:11 pm I already tried. It does not affect the thread subject, just the post
Strange, I did it again, this time just "submit" with no changes, and it seemed to work...
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

Humm, weird indeed. Anyway, you had succed that the most important. Furthermore external links are not broken and that's cool.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Carlopav has changed how tooltips are displayed:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p525033

Notably the name of the command is now added to the tooltip. This is to inform the user and make finding information in the Wiki easier.

For the SM workbench there is now an issue that the command names do not follow the standard and that the command reference pages use different names that do (derived from the names of the icons I think).

Example:

Command name:
SMFormingWall

Page name:
SheetMetal_Forming
Attachments
sheetmetal-tooltip.png
sheetmetal-tooltip.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 pm Example:

Command name:
SMFormingWall

Page name:
SheetMetal_Forming
And the element in the tree view is called WallForming...

Proroblem (?) is: The pages were created a while ago and it seems that the command naming in the program changed a bit in the meantime.

I tried to make the links consistent, at least, and chose to use the icon names.
I think it is the right time now to change the Wiki page names. Can a simple editors do that?

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 pm command names do not follow the standard
Do you mean in the source code?
You pointed out to me earlier that the naming of the properties don't follow the standard, too.
Maybe this can get reworked for the next update; hopefully in a way that this module can be translated then.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Pages in the Wiki can be renamed, that is not the problem. But the sooner the better, the longer you wait, the more work is involved. Maybe @shais can comment.

We have had a PM discussion about the SM property names and how they appear in the GUI.

Short explanation to inform the readers of this topic:
In the Property editor property names usually appear as Name or Some Name. The first letter of each part of the name is capitalized. This is not done consistently in the SM WB. See f.e. SheetMetal Forming:
Suppress Feature
angle
base Object