Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Adie

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by Adie »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:10 pm I think i see the problem, this is addon manager related. Do you have gitpython installed? (it's a python module that interacts with git). I'm on Linux so I'm unsure how it works for windows folk
I do not think it is 'caused' by the Addon Manager. It is more the new ZIP file got a different name and maybe folder.

Without being rude but the developer should ensure the library 'replace' the previous one. Also, the Version number stayed the same between the Sheetmetal Workbenches although the 'debug' one is totally reworked.
OR, maybe it is still in 'debug' state and should not be used?

See the screen of Lazarus (Freepascal IDE) One of my 'Packages' is out of date. Quite informative.

Lastly, I am a programmer myself and know the extra burden of keeping track of versions for other users.

In any case, THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK. I really getting to LOVE FreeCAD. :D :D

Adie
Attachments
Lazarus Packages.JPG
Lazarus Packages.JPG (64.77 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Since you downloaded a branch off of the master branch, i bet the issue is that you're still in it (bugfix_sheetmetalcmd)
If I were you I'd do this but on windows:

Code: Select all

cd ~/.FreeCAD/Mod/SheetMetalWB
git checkout master
git pull
Restart FreeCAD and you should have the SheetMetal WB up to date
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Adie

Post by Adie »

Hi

GIT do nothing on my PC. I do not want to load additional software that 'should not' be needed. We Newbies just want to use the Addon Manager.

There is only ONE issue that I can see. The Updated file IS NOT THE FILE that Addon Manager point to.

Although not elegant, I found a workaround to load the new Sheetmetal but I am afraid a lot of users will never figure out how to do it.

Thanks for the support.

Adie
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Adie wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:22 pm GIT do nothing on my PC. I do not want to load additional software that 'should not' be needed. We Newbies just want to use the Addon Manager.
git is not trivial software and is really good to have on a PC these days. And if you look at the source code of the addon manager it is much better to use with git. What you're seeing right now on your end is the addon manager's fallback on a secondary strategy to download the remote Github repository's zip file. In fact, Git will only download remote files that have been modified. So newbies should have git installed. It would be seamless anyway, they wouldn't know it's git in the background.

What I was offering you was a quick workaround to help you get back on track, if you had git installed.

An aside, at some point we'll figure out how to save .FCStd files in git repositories and will then be able to rollback to different revisions in a project's history. So I recommend you be more open to learning about git or at least be more accepting of it. It's super useful.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:26 pm So newbies should have git installed.
Sorry Kunda1 but I fundamentally disagree with this, I worked in IT for over 20 years and could not believe the complexity of the installer questions for Git on Windows, I was seriously close to pressing Cancel. New users just want to learn whatever new application they require to use, not have to install something else new as well especially when they are security conscious and want to know exactly what's going on with connectivity to the internet. I use Blender and Krita as well as loads of commercial software, at no time have I needed Git.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Syres wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 pm could not believe the complexity of the installer questions for Git on Windows
I had no idea it was complex on windows. Is this within FreeCAD installer or installing Git on windows in general?

But in this context (FreeCAD Addon Manager) from a security-conscious POV, using git or not is moot since either way one is downloading files from a remote repository that isn't necessarily vetted by the community.

BTW, we are veering off topic, and so we should nip this in the bud soon. :P
LKM_cad

Post by LKM_cad »

Hello All,
I am very impressed by FreeCAD and the sheet metal workbench. I think if I were doing a "standard" design I would have finished already!
I am running into an issue using the Bend tool (W) and trying to supply a sketch for the created wall. I am fairly certain this is a bug but I am also open to suggestions on how to better achieve my goal.
Goal: design a tapered shape with trapezoidal sides. See for example this shape done in Sheet Lightning:
cup_from_sheetlightning_render.PNG
cup_from_sheetlightning_render.PNG (15.22 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
cup_from_sheetlightning_unfolded.PNG
cup_from_sheetlightning_unfolded.PNG (15.56 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
In SM wb I create the initial box/pad in the shape of the wall, this works great. I don't know how to get the subsequent walls/bends to be shaped properly. Doing funky things with negative miter angles almost worked, and I think that adding a sketch to define the wall is the way to go but I get an error "mainlist is referenced before it is defined" around line 698 in SheetMetalCmd.py:
#mainlist = getBendetail(selFaceNames, MainObject, bendR, bendA, flipped)
thk_faceList = []
resultSolid = MainObject
for i, sublist in enumerate(mainlist):

I made some quick edits and got some things working but am getting index out of range errors on recomputes and am out of my depth on the codebase.

About:
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.24893 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 03855f793feaceeb4385c02f6520f3e1b6429c93
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

SM wb V0.2.48

Can someone have a look?
greg79

Post by greg79 »

How do I edit a face? The 'Sketch on sheet metal' option is always greyed out. Also, why isn't there a manual?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

greg79 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:40 pm Also, why isn't there a manual?
Feel free to add to https://wiki.freecadweb.org/SheetMetal_Workbench .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
greg79

Post by greg79 »

I would create a manual but at this moment I am struggling with the basics. How do I edit a face and use the 'Sketch on sheet metal' option?