Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by papyblaise »

1 and 2 Ok
1 : the slot is at the midle of the fillet
2 : the slot cut the totality of the fillet
3 don't woork because cut a partial arc of the fillet
Attachments
slot.PNG
slot.PNG (47.75 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
slot.FCStd
(268.92 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Adie

Post by Adie »

1. The attached part was done with two rectangles and then 'Pad'ded at3 mm 'Reversed' checked. The 'Reverse will make the top of the part the default face for future sketches.

2. Select the TOP face and create a new skech line in the centre of the cutout. Make sure the line pass the edges to be selectable in the future. In this case the cutout will ensure that. Finish the sketch.

3. Open sheetmetal workbench and select BOTH the top face and the line with CTRL. then Click the "Fold of Wall in Metal sheet" icon.

4. Open the 'Fold' Data and change the Position to Middle. Click anywhere to update screen.

NOTES:
1. Use the latest version of the Sheetmetal Workbench ---- 2.49 !!
2. The line does not sit in the centre of the bend as expected. did not look at technical accuracy of the bend w.r.t. dimensions.
3. NEVER do ANYTHING on the unfolded parts. They are 'detached' copies of the drawing.
4. Regularly during your drawing try to Flaten the part and save a LOT.
5. When you get the 'Can not flattenn from this face - Try another Bla Bla Bla. The chance is GOOD you have some interference.

I did about 15 COMPLETE versions of the bashplate before I could successfully send it for Plasma cutting.
Also I use the 'Realthunder' version of FC to solve the 'topology' issue. Quite happy so far.

Enjoy
Adie
Attachments
Fold with slot.JPG
Fold with slot.JPG (74.93 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

Adie wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:24 pm 1. The attached part was done with two rectangles and then 'Pad'ded at3 mm 'Reversed' checked. The 'Reverse will make the top of the part the default face for future sketches.

2. Select the TOP face and create a new skech line in the centre of the cutout. Make sure the line pass the edges to be selectable in the future. In this case the cutout will ensure that. Finish the sketch.

3. Open sheetmetal workbench and select BOTH the top face and the line with CTRL. then Click the "Fold of Wall in Metal sheet" icon.

4. Open the 'Fold' Data and change the Position to Middle. Click anywhere to update screen.

NOTES:
1. Use the latest version of the Sheetmetal Workbench ---- 2.49 !!
2. The line does not sit in the centre of the bend as expected. did not look at technical accuracy of the bend w.r.t. dimensions.
3. NEVER do ANYTHING on the unfolded parts. They are 'detached' copies of the drawing.
4. Regularly during your drawing try to Flaten the part and save a LOT.
5. When you get the 'Can not flattenn from this face - Try another Bla Bla Bla. The chance is GOOD you have some interference.

I did about 15 COMPLETE versions of the bashplate before I could successfully send it for Plasma cutting.
Also I use the 'Realthunder' version of FC to solve the 'topology' issue. Quite happy so far.

Enjoy
Adie
Thanks for the great tips! Yes I also have to make my parts many times, but getting better each time.
I am waiting for the Realthunder version to be merged, maybe I should switch now, however I have almost finished my project so I don't want to change just yet.

While following your instructions, I see 2.49 there is a new "corner relief to sheet metal corner". this sounds exactly like what I require, how ever I can't get it to work. Do you know how to use it? Or does anyone know of any documentation for it

This is the error I get:

Code: Select all

00:30:04  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalCornerReliefCmd.py", line 447, in execute
    s = smCornerR(reliefsketch = fp.ReliefSketch, ratio = fp.SizeRatio, size = fp.Size.Value, kfactor = fp.kfactor,
  File "C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalCornerReliefCmd.py", line 262, in smCornerR
    DetailList = getBendDetail(resultSolid, REdgelist[0], REdgelist[1], kfactor)
  File "C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalCornerReliefCmd.py", line 192, in getBendDetail
    cornerPoint = getCornerPoint(edge1,edge2)
  File "C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalCornerReliefCmd.py", line 175, in getCornerPoint
    cornerPoint = section.Vertexes[0].Point
<class 'IndexError'>: list index out of range
I could update the wiki if I knew how to use it.
Adie

Post by Adie »

Maybe post your project (or a sample) so I can see a bit more. The errors are a bit cryptic for me.

Also, I flick between V0.19, V.20 (not released yet) and Realthunder without an issue yet.

I am only using FC for 2 months now to evaluate if it is worth the risk for commercial projects. I must design a House, a Rally Car and a readymix concrete plant. :D If it is an issue I will have to renew my Fusion360 in August. (Used Solidworks before) I had to do quite a bit of fixes on the flat metal to get a 'proper' DXF. I now use Sheetcam to generate the Plasma G-Code path for Mach3 as I could not find a FC postprocessor solution can do the G31 torch THCl. It seems that most FC users use it for milling.

Adie
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

papyblaise wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:32 pm 1 and 2 Ok
1 : the slot is at the midle of the fillet
2 : the slot cut the totality of the fillet
3 don't woork because cut a partial arc of the fillet
Thanks for this and the attached file :D :D . Took me a while to understand it because I don't really know the Part WB. But I see it basically comes down to one can pocket/cut the bend just like one would do the flat surfaces. Makes sense! :geek:
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

A post with 42 pages is too long. Can we close this post and put separate questions in separate posts ?
Other WB have not a unique post.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:53 am A post with 42 pages is too long. Can we close this post and put separate questions in separate posts ?
Other WB have not a unique post.
Important workbenches have a single topic, e.g. Assembly or Curves which have up to nearly 200 pages. And I remember the opposite, that people were redirected to the big collection topic when posting in a new topic.

But you are right, more structure could be quite helpful.
I would vote for a new subforum "Addons" where each addon with a certain number of pages gets its own subforum, thus we would have

- Users
- Addons
-- A2Plus
-- Assembly3
-- Assembly4
-- Curves
-- SheetMetal

Jim, what do you think?
jmaustpc wrote: pinged by pinger macro
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I agree with you: a post opened 7 years ago is a bit old-fashioned, the workshop has evolved a lot and was created for a 7-year-old version too
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

Back on topic, or now off topic ^_^

Is this by design, that if one creates a pocket on surface, if the shape's close edge closest edge, does not have perpindicular lines, then it fails to flatten. Hard to explain with words:

This can flatten (note the lines highlighted by the two red lines):
ok.png
ok.png (79.18 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
This will fail to flatten (here the arc touches the line that is parallel to the bend line):
ng.png
ng.png (33.98 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Adie

Post by Adie »

This is what I talked about in some earlier post. The Sheetmetal workbench is good but there are still some un-expected behavior. Hence the fact that I waste a lot of time to test if flatten still works during a simple project, and then I don't know if it is me or the workbench.

To the developers, I like FC but am not so sure I can use it in production environment where time is money.

Adie