Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FBXL5

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by FBXL5 »

drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:10 pm Here, with Body002 (1mm Pad) if fails:
The forming geometry is not offset-able. The embossed geometry will be a shell object; that's why its surface has to get an offset surface + closing edge faces.
The tool PartDesign Thickness could create these faces to check the geometry, but fails with your Body001, as well.

You have to tweak your embossing geometry until it is offset-able.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

As I explore more of capabilities I stumbled on an interesting result.

I would think making this result in the real world might take some some interesting engineering (maybe vacuum forming or multi step die?)
InterestingForm.gif
InterestingForm.gif (719.49 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:39 pm
The forming geometry is not offset-able. The embossed geometry will be a shell object; that's why its surface has to get an offset surface + closing edge faces.
The tool PartDesign Thickness could create these faces to check the geometry, but fails with your Body001, as well.

You have to tweak your embossing geometry until it is offset-able.
When you say not offset-able, you mean if the forming surface would fail a normal offset (because, for example, an offset would cause two adjacent geometries to consume some or all of each other) then it is not offset-able? :?:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:46 pm When you say not offset-able, you mean if the forming surface would fail a normal offset (because, for example, an offset would cause two adjacent geometries to consume some or all of each other) then it is not offset-able?
I think you put it right.

My problem is my limited vocabulary e.g. the repetition of words where synonyms could make my thoughts clearer. I use the words I picked up from the wiki (that bit you wrote?) and try to find analogies which could lead to false friends. But I'm here to improve.

My mother tongue is German and I didn't have to talk sheet metal in English before; and I would be glad to get feedback if I'm talking bullshit without knowing.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:52 pm

My mother tongue is German and I didn't have to talk sheet metal in English before; and I would be glad to get feedback if I'm talking bullshit without knowing.
Well, what German I knew has not been used for 40 years! So, I think your English is probably better than my German :D

Glad to help of I can.
thebighaggis

Post by thebighaggis »

Hi All

Re: Sheet Metal Forming Tool
1st thanks to the forum users below who helped point me in the right direction..
FBXL5
papyblaise
drmacro
-alex-
jaisejames
I've uploaded a really crappy video because it's quite hard to get your head around the way this tool works..
sorry in advance for closing and reopening the 2nd profile sketch , there is a bug where you cannot see the sheet metal behind it, closing and reopening the sketch fixes this.. I hope this helps someone...
Cheers
Haggis
https://youtu.be/WNHMNYz0Jmc
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I think we should add a Nota Bene at the end of the "Forming" wiki: the use of Forming prohibits Unfold
thebighaggis

Post by thebighaggis »

Yes definitely
And always do forming as last operation so you can switch off the form and flatten sheet metal..
Cheers
Haggis
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

Below option is to unfold sheet-metal by suppressing forming feature [Hoping/expecting that it will be last feature in tree view. so top naming issue will not be there].

"DataSuppress Feature (Bool): "Suppress Forming Feature". Default value is false."
Last edited by jaisejames on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

Since there is no two solid supported in Part design, tool is to be shape binder & applied forming.