[Solved] One transformed shape does not intersect support-create polar pattern tool

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PAS_Drafter

[Solved] One transformed shape does not intersect support-create polar pattern tool

Post by PAS_Drafter »

Hello

I have been trying to teach myself how to use FreeCAD. I am making progress and have been able to find answers to most of my issues by going through the numerous tutorials, help pages, and the forum. However, I have come to a head on what I might be doing wrong currently. I have created a bolt head that I want to duplicate around the hub. I made it work once, but deleted to change something else and ever since, I have not been able to make it work again. Every time I try to use the tool, it gives me the error in this post. I've tried changing the axis of the sketch in and out and around and tried redoing it a couple of times to no avail. It has to be something simple that I'm missing, but I've wasted an hour trying to find a solution, so I thought I'd see if a fresh set of eyes can resolve it. I have search for this error on the forum and looked at the results and don't think they are related to this. From my perspective, the new parts are touching the existing surfaces after they have been created.

I've attached the file. I'm trying to duplicate the "Bolt Head".

Thanks for any help.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Sprayer Body.FCStd
(38.53 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by PAS_Drafter on Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: One transformed shape does not intersect support-create polar pattern tool

Post by GeneFC »

You have placed the bolt head in its own body. When you try to create a polar pattern it attempts to create 6 separate solids in that body. Not allowed.

I would guess that you previously created the bolt head in the HubBody, in which case the bolt head would be attached to the existing solid. In that case the polar array would work.

Just move the bolt head into the HubBody, and trash the BoltsBody.

Gene
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

must be tricky: add a small tail to your bolt and a ring to support the Polar Array
for fun, I put the meme2704 tire on it
Attachments
wheel.FCStd
(649.6 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
wheel.PNG
wheel.PNG (76.98 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
whell.FCStd
(58.58 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
whell.PNG
whell.PNG (30.39 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

You were correct. I moved my sketch to the HubBody and it worked as expected. Thanks for enlightening me.

The reason I changed them to their own body was I wanted to change the color of the bolts relative to the rest of the hub. When I right click on the bolt heads and select Appearance and change the bolt color to Chrome, the whole rim changes as well. Am I doing something wrong that I can't change just individual surfaces within a single part?
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

You were correct. I moved my sketch to the HubBody and it worked as expected. Thanks for enlightening me.

The reason I changed them to their own body was I wanted to change the color of the bolts relative to the rest of the hub. When I right click on the bolt heads and select Appearance and change the bolt color to Chrome, the whole rim changes as well. Am I doing something wrong that I can't change just individual surfaces within a single part?

Oh and I love the tread. Tire looks real nice now. :D
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Do the colors last. Set the appearance first, then right click the last feature and choose set colors to set individual faces to other colors.
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

AHHH, I found the Set Colors in the right click menu near the top of the list. I kept overlooking that area and was looking for a way to color it down in the lower part of the menus by the Appearance tabs.

Just a case of not taking the time to read every item. Thanks for the help.
rek

Re: [Solved] One transformed shape does not intersect support-create polar pattern tool

Post by rek »

I'm having the same error message, and i don't understand why. I will read this thread again and try to catch the meaning. I was able to create 4 pockets out of one pocket with no issue, so I wonder why I can't polar-multiply a cylinder the same way.

I tried moving my "problem" sketch into another body and it seems that a body can only hold one sketch at a time. I get little exclamation marks, little check marks, but i figured that out on the fly.

I haven't used the yello 'part' object of freecad yet, still in the domain of body and sketch. Thought I would just create a jumble of separate bodies -- but easier said than done.

what i'm trying to do is keep the bolts separate from the plate and its pockets, but be positioned in the places they'll be in.

I did manage to get a result of four bolts by placing the bolt pads in the body "folder" of the plate with the pockets. but this merges them together into one body more or less, and I plan on making a complex arrangement of different bodies or parts. i'll be adding bearings, more bolts, a 3d printed part, etc. so should i use the yellow "part" tree view object now?

come to think of it, i need to read read read some stuff about the tree view because I can't make head or tail out of it.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: [Solved] One transformed shape does not intersect support-create polar pattern tool

Post by TheMarkster »

It has failed as the other has failed and for the same reason. The polar array elements must all intersect material from the same body. It matters not that the elements intersect material from another Body. Each Body must be a single contiguous solid at every step of the process.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here you want to have 4 separate cylinders. Use Draft->PolarArray for that.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.