Nearly a wave spring washer ...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Nearly a wave spring washer ...

Post by NormandC »

Nice challenge! :)

The problem with a sweep is getting the right trajectory... I'm wondering if this wouldn't need some way to wrap a 2D sketch on a surface. If a curve could be wrapped on a cylinder that would provide the path.
ulrich1a wrote:The sweep path was made with Draft.makeBSpline. But the sweep was not as smooth as I did expect.
There's been a recent topic where a BSpline used as path produced a non-smooth sweep, but I can't remember what it was ATM...
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

normandc wrote:Nice challenge! :)

The problem with a sweep is getting the right trajectory... I'm wondering if this wouldn't need some way to wrap a 2D sketch on a surface. If a curve could be wrapped on a cylinder that would provide the path.
ulrich1a wrote:The sweep path was made with Draft.makeBSpline. But the sweep was not as smooth as I did expect.
There's been a recent topic where a BSpline used as path produced a non-smooth sweep, but I can't remember what it was ATM...
Wasn't that involving the sweeping, extruding and lofting of airfoils made with a Bspline? That's the one I'm remembering, mostly because I was involved in it. I do remember myself taking note that OCE 6.7 was doing a much better job with them than previous versions. It was stated in their release notes that it had received some love from the developers. Having your tessellation knocked back to something like .02 or so makes for a much smoother surface than the default 0.5. That setting in Edit > Preferences > Part Design > Shape View tab for those that are new or unaware.

I'v gone at this 4 or 5 ways this evening trying to get 3 hills and valleys. tanderson69 did a nice job on the bow spring washer with the CSG approach and the "S" shape wave spring is easy enough, and belleville springs are a no brainer. But that 3x3 wave... I was half expecting you to come up with some clever way and posting something like - "Here- that ain't so hard". Guess it kind of is. :) At least I don't feel so bad now, not getting it nailed down.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm thinking of Lucio's video on YouTube that shows a macro that creates formula-based curves. That might do the trick, if there was a way to wrap that curve to a cylinder, then use the projected curve as path for the sweep.

But my maths are a quarter century behind me! :?

On the other hand, maybe simple arcs generating a "wave" would be sufficient. But without a way to wrap it... (there's probably one in python, but I wouldn't know)

Also, I would only model a third of the washer, then make a polar array.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Yea, I went the 1/3rd route, loft and sweep, didn't turn out right with the polar array. Where the sections met, there was always a sharp dip in the transition. I couldn't get it to come out anywhere near smooth.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
chrisf

Post by chrisf »

Mark,
Did you try lofting a sketches at 30 deg as well as 60 deg? The attached has sketches at -60, -30, 0, 30 and 60 degrees with displacements of 0.5,0.25,0,0.25 and 0.5. It seems to be flat (ish) at the 60 and -60 points but I can't make a polar pattern because my Draft workbench can't find pivy ...
Chris
Attachments
springwasher2_cf.fcstd
(8.23 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
chrisf

Post by chrisf »

SH******T!!!! :o :o :o

Just to be clear. The above comment about pivy WAS NOT a bug report. Mark will be all :evil: on me otherwise.

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3342 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: ca6d37202593752c0eeeb1ce56cb4d8c3baf27c0
Python version: 2.7.5+
Qt version: 4.8.4
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.4

Built with:
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCOIN3D_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/coin/ -DOCC_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/oce/ -DFREECAD_USE_EXTERNAL_PIVY=true ../free-cad-code

Chris
chrisf

Post by chrisf »

To be even clearer about how I WASN'T reporting a bug (hence no need for FreeCAD info). I don't have the thing that wasn't a bug any more anyway.

If you've built without -DFREECAD_USE_EXTERNAL_PIVY=true then there is still a pivy folder in your bin folder which gets used in preference to the external one. Solution is to rm -rf build_dir/bin/pivy.
chrisf

Post by chrisf »

Now I can use the Draft workbench to create the polar array, it looks pretty good to me.
Attachments
Selection_075.png
Selection_075.png (53.51 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
springwasher2_cf.fcstd
(11.71 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
chrisf

Post by chrisf »

Just found a step file for a candidate part from http://www.assocspring.co.uk/p/23/wave_spring_washers/ ...

Spot the difference :lol:
Attachments
2D drawing on website
2D drawing on website
Selection_077.png (12.99 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
Step file
Step file
Selection_076.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

I played around with this yesterday but didn't have time to post. I got it to work; maybe it will help?
I used same measurements as in original file.

The problem for me was that it seemed there was some ambiguity so FreeCAD didn't know to sweep up or down (in / out) between Sketches.
30140320a_Spring_Washer.jpg
30140320a_Spring_Washer.jpg (9.62 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
File is here because it is slightly too big to upload to the forum.

Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.2370 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: a836759ebd91404954a778ff8885e152611576e1
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.5.1

Edited for clarity and to include FC version info.