Stuck! ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
badgersurfer

Re: Stuck! ?

Post by badgersurfer »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:12 pm
badgersurfer wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:48 am Crazy thing is I used to teach AutoCad and Autolisp and I feel totally dim not being able to get this. I know I am 67 now so maybe I am going senile :) It is definitely important for me to totally understand this issue.
You got already lots of answers concerning your issue, so I will comment this: I highly appreciate your approach of wanting to learn and understand FreeCAD as it is. Usually we see something different, where people rather require FreeCAD to be like some program they know or even accusing developers to be more or less idiots not doing it like program XY does.
Haha, nice one. I am a mechanical engineer by profession albeit semi retired. And pretty travelled.
I have been an advocate and producer of shareware, freeware, GNU over the years and I appreciate anyone who puts effort no matter how big or small into helping others understand and I have done my fair share over the years. I have always said that if criticism is constructive it is worth a look, but if not "Who cares"? Don't stoke peoples egos... :)
There are two types of people on the earth " Them that do and them that preach".... :)
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:32 pm @Domaad : in TechDraw, how do you manage to get the view with radius and diameter ? (to see the face, to position the view with the Front view)
hi, @Shalmeneser
here is how to do it, here another example of alignment https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61216
a greeting
Attachments
aligned_view.gif
aligned_view.gif (638.45 KiB) Viewed 815 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:21 pm A simple rectangle on a technical drawing will never tell you there are right angles.
.... for this reason there are mechanical designers planner (to avoid these unpleasant misunderstandings of interpretation) ;)
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

domad wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:13 pm
edwilliams16 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:21 pm .......Clearly your model isn't to specification.
Hello edwilliams16,
.... sorry could you tell me where it is indicated that the hole must be orthogonal to the view?
Therefore, when publishing technical documents, they must contain all the constructive indications (never take for granted what is not indicated). ;)
Your original post and your solution showed side views. In one the hole is normal to the top surface, in the other it isn't. So regardless of any perceived ambiguity, they can't be the same.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

@Domad : your auxiliary view is just rotated but not positionned. Is there a method to do this ?
https://openoregon.pressbooks.pub/bluep ... ary-views/

It's not posible to draw a (cosmetic) line between 2 different views.
Attachments
Exercice techdraw.png
Exercice techdraw.png (79.66 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Exercice techdraw.svg
modified with Inkscape
(100 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

edwilliams16 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:08 pm Your original post and your solution showed side views. In one the hole is normal to the top surface, in the other it isn't. So regardless of any perceived ambiguity, they can't be the same.
Good morning to the Community!
Hello edwilliams16,
... unfortunately yesterday I went to sleep, thank you for your replies because they allow me (image and * .gif) to explain the "Loft" function and plane geometry.
A piece of advice, do not take it as an offense I recommend (!) :) : To progress it is important to "never exceed in presumption".
Attachments
CH4_ex_test_1-4-2_section.gif
CH4_ex_test_1-4-2_section.gif (320.18 KiB) Viewed 745 times
CH4_ex_test_1-4-2_section.png
CH4_ex_test_1-4-2_section.png (182.41 KiB) Viewed 745 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:27 pm @Domad : your auxiliary view is just rotated but not positionned. Is there a method to do this ?
https://openoregon.pressbooks.pub/bluep ... ary-views/

Hi @Shalmeneser!

You can make lines that allow alignment with good precision (I normally do this in my drawings), but it is not possible to draw cosmetic lines between different views.
I am preparing a * .gif to show how it is possible to draw the lateral lines that allow alignment with very good approximation. :)
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

domad wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:11 am to explain the "Loft" function and plane geometry.
But the hole should be perpendicular to the top slanted surface. Check again the drawing in the OP. Yours clearly is not.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

kisolre wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:53 am ....Check again the drawing in the OP....
Hi kisolre, thanks for your reply
... I double-checked the drawing, it seems to me that this is it
Attachments
drawing.png
drawing.png (436.31 KiB) Viewed 679 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:27 pm @Domad : your auxiliary view is just rotated but not positionned. Is there a method to do this ?
Hello Shalmeneser!
Here is the * .gif showing how to get around this
Attachments
TechDraw_view_alignment.gif
TechDraw_view_alignment.gif (693.9 KiB) Viewed 667 times