Help creating a mold from an existing model

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heda
Veteran

Re: Help creating a mold from an existing model

Post by heda »

great that it worked out for you.

so in a sense you made the model yourself, any objections to it being used as a showcase (assuming someone spends the time to make a tutorial about it)?

btw, looks to me that there are also options to export out from that program in step-format, any chance you could do that and attach that file as well (same one as the stl. in general one should always avoid stl when dealing with 3d data meant for cad / manipulation - step is a superior format for that, stl should only be the very last step before going to the slicer (or whatever other program is used for the realization part), and only if that is truly the only format those program works with to begin with...
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

heda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:59 pm great that it worked out for you.

so in a sense you made the model yourself, any objections to it being used as a showcase (assuming someone spends the time to make a tutorial about it)?

btw, looks to me that there are also options to export out from that program in step-format, any chance you could do that and attach that file as well (same one as the stl. in general one should always avoid stl when dealing with 3d data meant for cad / manipulation - step is a superior format for that, stl should only be the very last step before going to the slicer (or whatever other program is used for the realization part), and only if that is truly the only format those program works with to begin with...
Honestly, I was planning on removing the files at my server as soon as the project was done. That's because my competitors could use them to create the mold. I do, however, appreciate your comments about the .step files. Also know that the export feature in the eMachineShop program is a paid feature ($99.00/yr).
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

TuttleJA wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 pm [...]
Honestly, I was planning on removing the files at my server as soon as the project was done. [...]
To read something lime that makes me really sad :cry:

edit: Think about what you'd have done if the FreeCAD-people who're writting code, hunting down bugs, helping people like you at this forum, working on the wiki, giving (free) courses and so on would act like you and you wouldn't even have the chance to use FreeCAD for free and get this much help for free?
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

so a no then, fair enough, it's a free world and your call - personally, have no particular issue with that.

btw, there is a forum spot for "job postings", which might be the right spot for you - then you can do things like this in private, and if you feel like it, also donate to freecad which will be used to further enhance freecad.
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

M4x wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:45 am
TuttleJA wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 pm [...]
Honestly, I was planning on removing the files at my server as soon as the project was done. [...]
To read something lime that makes me really sad :cry:

edit: Think about what you'd have done if the FreeCAD-people who're writing code, hunting down bugs, helping people like you at this forum, working on the wiki, giving (free) courses and so on would act like you and you wouldn't even have the chance to use FreeCAD for free and get this much help for free?
Hopefully, we all have our own way of 'giving back'. One of my ways is via my website (player-care.com), which I started in 1996. If you're having trouble fixing your player piano, I've probably already written a web page that addresses the issue. All of the information at the site (over 900 pages and links to over 1400 articles that I've written) is "free". This morning I'm staring a new web page that will list all of the steps I took to create the mold. When it's finished, it will be located at: https://www.player-care.com/FreeCAD/cre ... -mold.html
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Great to bear that! Thank you :D
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

TuttleJA wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm Hopefully, we all have our own way of 'giving back'.
In my view there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you did and what you plan to do.

Lots of FreeCAD users have proprietary projects and still ask for help on the forum. That is fully supported by the FreeCAD license and by the purpose of the forum.

The discussion in this topic will remain as a reference for anyone else trying to do something similar with their own designs.

Gene
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Of course everybody has the freedom to do what / how they want to. What's legal or illegal doesn't always match with my personal feelings ;) If I made the impression that a "keeping stuff to myself behavior" isn't allowed, I'd like to apologize.
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

Hi All,

I finished the web page about how I solved the problem/s. It's located at: https://www.player-care.com/FreeCAD/cre ... -mold.html. Thanks again to all for your advice. At the very least, it helped me from simply quitting after each failure.