Help creating a mold from an existing model

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
domad
Veteran

Re: Help creating a mold from an existing model

Post by domad »

TuttleJA wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 pm Hi Domad, Would it be terribly difficult to reduce the thickness from 20mm to 7mm?
Hi TuttleJA, good morning to the Community!

I would have given the same method as @TheMarkster (which I thank), and he was also very meticulous and precise in suggesting you some fundamental tips for 3D printing. ;)
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

Hi @Domad and @TheMarkster,

Thanks to both of you, I was able to get the cost of the mold to under $125.00. The thinnest that Shapeways would accept was 7mm, but I made a file that was only 4mm. The error message Shapeways sent about the thinner mold simply said "Model is not manifold.", which I don't understand. Oddly enough, it rendered just fine in both CAD Assistant, FreeCAD, and the Shapeways preview window. What's a bit more confusing is that they had no problem printing the 'positive' mat, which is only 2.34mm thick. I'm going to try exporting the FreeCAD file as a STEP file and try Shapeways again.

Thank you again for your help.
Attachments
shapeways-at-7mm.jpg
shapeways-at-7mm.jpg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
shapeways-at-4mm.jpg
shapeways-at-4mm.jpg (119.91 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
shapeways-mat-n-logo.jpg
shapeways-mat-n-logo.jpg (122.59 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

Hi @Domad and @TheMarkster,

I found the problem. I checked the FreeCAD file of the 4mm part and noticed that there was an Error (!) mark by the 'cut'. So, I tried converting the part to a solid and then deleted the 'cut' with the Error mark. Then I exported the file in STL and uploaded it to Shapeways. That brought the cost down to $62.50.

Thanks to you gentlemen, I've learned so much about FreeCAD. Thank you again.
Attachments
shapeways-at-4mm-good.jpg
shapeways-at-4mm-good.jpg (127.5 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

TuttleJA wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:52 am ........... "Model is not manifold.".....
.... I'm glad you made it. :D
Here is the explanation to your question: https: //www.shapeways.com/forum/t/model-is-not-manifold.53744/
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

So, while the image in FreeCAD 'looked' solid, it really wasn't. I'm guessing that it was missing the bottom face, which got 'cut' off during the Boolean cut... And, that converting it to a solid put that face back on... (my simple understanding of the problem...) ;-)
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

domad wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:24 am
TuttleJA wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:52 am ........... "Model is not manifold.".....
.... I'm glad you made it. :D
Here is the explanation to your question: https: //www.shapeways.com/forum/t/model-is-not-manifold.53744/
Hi Domad,
I hope you are well. I feel like such a beggar, but I've spent literally dozens of hours reading forum posts and I've watched more Youtube videos than I can count, and I'm no closer to understanding the problem I'm having. Here is the link to the new FreeCAD and STL files I've created. https://player-care.com/FreeCAD/ (FreeCAD says that the FreeCAD files are too big.) I need to learn how to embed them in a 6mm thick block to make the mold. Your advice and help would be most welcomed.

Also, this is the best I've been able to accomplish. See attached. I thought I could negatively extrude the mat and logo. Didn't work. You can see what I mean as compared to your file (the color image). Notice how my monogram is above the grooves and yours is embedded -as it should be.
Attachments
screen-11.jpg
screen-11.jpg (447.65 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

interesting stl as starting point.
doing a "split components" on the stl, it ends up with close to 80 of them, wonder which program was used to make the stl.

anyway, @TuttleJA - where did you get the model and what type of license is it on it.

if it is a free license, might be worth that someone from the community makes an advanced "make something useful of a completely broken stl file" type of advanced tutorial for the wiki.
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

heda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:57 am interesting stl as starting point.
doing a "split components" on the stl, it ends up with close to 80 of them, wonder which program was used to make the stl.

anyway, @TuttleJA - where did you get the model and what type of license is it on it.

if it is a free license, might be worth that someone from the community makes an advanced "make something useful of a completely broken stl file" type of advanced tutorial for the wiki.
I created a .ems file in eMachineShop. (It's a free program) Then I converted it (in that program) to an .stl file. My goal is to create a mold so that I can make new pedal pads (like the one in the attached picture) for a 1920's player piano.
Attachments
original.jpg
original.jpg (205.86 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

TuttleJA wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:31 pm .......
Hi TuttleJA, greetings to the Community!
…. in recent days, due to various commitments, I have not been active in the forum.
I have read some interesting topics (of course they are all interesting, but on some there is nothing more to add, compared to what has already been repeated) I will try to recover a little during the week.
I have inserted in a file "matrix3_6mm.zip" (link: http://www.filedropper.com/matrix36mm) which contains:
- a “matrix3.FCStd” file containing the complete matrix having a thickness of 6 mm;
- a "matrix_construction_components.FCStd" file containing the solid bodies that make it possible to obtain the matrix, in particular:
a) 6mm thick block (which you can modify);
b) the punch (or positive mold);
c) the trimmer for cutting the stock (knurling lines on the treble clef) which must be removed after the Boolean operation difference [a) - b)] between the 6 mm block and the punch.
The operations to be performed are:
Wb. "Part"
1) boolean difference [a) – b)];
2) boolean difference [1) – c)].
Please note:
if the dimensions of the block a) are changed, the new block must be re-centered with respect to the punch and the stock finishing trimmer.
I hope the translation was understandable.
A greeting
TuttleJA

Post by TuttleJA »

Hi Domad,

No problem. In fact, with all that you taught me before and with all of the practice I got working with the files, I finally figured out why my 'reversed-logo' .stl file refused to convert to a solid. Once I separated the lettering from the 'monogram' (which I had no problem converting to a solid), and adding a base to the lettering, I was able to convert it to a solid. I did some more work playing with the thicknesses of the monogram and lettering before I was able to create the mold (using the boolean cut feature). And, since the mold requires much less material to print, the cost came down.

Thanks again for all of your valuable help.

John
Attachments
screen-12.jpg
screen-12.jpg (267.97 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
screen-13.jpg
screen-13.jpg (154.14 KiB) Viewed 1246 times