0.19 copies all objects when duplicating

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: 0.19 copies all objects when duplicating

Post by kisolre »

diep wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:25 pm Have a go at it attached the box i had designed in 'draft' mode.
Here is the resulting file with some explanations:
SelectionOnDuplication.jpg
SelectionOnDuplication.jpg (476.14 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Only the topmost object is selected for duplication. All other are deselected. Some more clicks that a simple "No" but actually allows for more flexibility. For example you can create a copy that has one of the openings with slightly bigger opening ore another shape, ...
ResultingTree.jpg
ResultingTree.jpg (278.79 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Here is the resulting tree. Of course subelements are shown under both AllWall objects because they both depend on them. But that does not mean that they are duplicated. For example both marked topfloor elements in the tree are actually one object.
ResultingDepGraph.jpg
ResultingDepGraph.jpg (246.35 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Dependency graph shows that only the topmost object is duplicated (as selected) and it depends on the same non duplicated objects. Hope that makes sense now.
Attachments
ComputerSilentCase006_duplicated.FCStd
(130.94 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
diep

Post by diep »

Chris, thanks for your kind thoughts!

CAD is a visual environment. In 0.15 it is clear in 'part'.

If i click edit then click duplicate then select NO and i see this:
P1050703.JPG
P1050703.JPG (161.12 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Fast, quick, intuivitvely.

It is clear then that the objects didn't get copied here. We do not want to show fata morgana's to the user of course - i get confused then.

How do i create this in 0.19?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

diep wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:56 pm How do i create this in 0.19?
As already mentioned just use Draft/Clone. It creates a parametric object that can also be scaled and attached.
diep

Post by diep »

kisolre wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:18 pm
As already mentioned just use Draft/Clone. It creates a parametric object that can also be scaled and attached.
It is workable - but it is not the same thing.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

diep wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:23 pm ...

It is workable - but it is not the same thing.
Not the same as...?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

diep wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:23 pm It is workable - but it is not the same thing.
I could argue that now the relations are clearer because you see at a glance that the duplicated object depends in its tools and if you modify them it will also change. But if you jump from 0.15 directly to 0.19(0.20) and did not follow the changes in the mean time it is reasonable to expect a lot of changes/evolution which were probably agreed to be better for the majority of the users.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can't. And that's good, because the display is biased. If you remove in 0.15 the source object, all of a sudden the subelements occur under the copy where thy couldn't be seen before.

If you want to investigate the copy - which is no longer related to the source in any way - how can you tell about its components?

I admit that I was annoyed by the new copy dialog as well, and I would have liked to see the old "no" be back. But I see the increased flexibility and have learned to accept it.

But I appreciate every day the repitition of objects if they are used multiply.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

diep wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm If i unselect all the boxes then it still copies all the underlying objects here. So the option 'no' doesn't exist nowadays if you click 'duplicate'.
It just so happens that I was using this duplicate operation yesterday. Worked perfectly.

Not sure why you are seeing a problem. :?: :?:

Gene
diep

Post by diep »

chrisb wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:38 pm
You can't. And that's good, because the display is biased. If you remove in 0.15 the source object, all of a sudden the subelements occur under the copy where thy couldn't be seen before.

If you want to investigate the copy - which is no longer related to the source in any way - how can you tell about its components?

I admit that I was annoyed by the new copy dialog as well, and I would have liked to see the old "no" be back. But I see the increased flexibility and have learned to accept it.

But I appreciate every day the repitition of objects if they are used multiply.
I will stick to keep using 0.15 - then switch to solidworks when the bankaccount can afford it. That' the businesdecision here.

In the old version it's easy to see when you can delete something - in the new one it's not easy and after 10 years all sort of coloring bugs are not fixed yet.
diep

Post by diep »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:46 pm
diep wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm If i unselect all the boxes then it still copies all the underlying objects here. So the option 'no' doesn't exist nowadays if you click 'duplicate'.
It just so happens that I was using this duplicate operation yesterday. Worked perfectly.

Not sure why you are seeing a problem. :?: :?:

Gene
It's confusing how it is now and not workable for me. Also all sort of coloring bugs still aren't fixed after 10 years.
If you modify 1 of the underlying objects DANG everything grey again. And 0.19 has more coloring bugs there seemingly than 0.15.