Are You Serious?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Are You Serious?

Post by GeneFC »

Cekuhnen wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:04 pm Well works in all my cad apps where you can select sketch profiles together
Nonsense.

That sketch is completely ambiguous without further rules or guesses. I did not say it cannot be processed, but it cannot be processed in a unique and unambigous way.

I could pull and stretch that sketch in many different ways, all of them "correct".

Gene
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Cekuhnen wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:04 pm
GeneFC wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:13 pm It is not simply a FreeCAD failing.
Well works in all my cad apps where you can select sketch profiles together

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 4.03.25 PM.png

freecad simply cannot select sketch profiles or individual edges from a sketch for modeling features.
There is a way to do this. Create the sketch as the original poster has done. Go to Curves workbench. Select the desired edges (outside the sketch editor with the sketch closed and visible) and create a JoinCurve object. Edit the Body's Group property to include the JoinCurve object. Use JoinCurve as you would a sketch.

But the JoinCurve, although fully parametric, was not designed to be used in this manner and will be quite fragile.
Snip macro screenshot-2178d1.png
Snip macro screenshot-2178d1.png (89.4 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Snip macro screenshot-c9e0f6.png
Snip macro screenshot-c9e0f6.png (119.3 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Snip macro screenshot-11f638.png
Snip macro screenshot-11f638.png (49.97 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Snip macro screenshot-71640d.png
Snip macro screenshot-71640d.png (83.59 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:34 pm ...May I ask if you are serious? ...
Sorry for being blunt.
I admire your patience dealing with this kind of ignorance and bad attitude.
Don't be sorry ;) - you are not blunt enough...
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:34 pm And yet you come here stating that FreeCAD is "fundamentally broken in almost every aspect" :roll: ?
May I ask if you are serious? I am with Cekuhnen, that you shouldn't feel bad. but unlike him, professor or not, I think you should feel very bad for this attitude.
Sorry for being blunt.
Is the language he uses maybe misplaced ? Yes probably - he is also venting . Maybe being a teacher forces you to deal with this differently but what is also the point each time a new user comes to a forum and vents to get irritated. You want that they ask objective questions - then maybe we should simply limit our self also to objective answers.

There is an art and benefit to simply see past venting. Let the venters figure it out later.

drmacro wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:23 pm The fact that other software allows that doesn't make it the best or even desirable practice.
There is a place for working clean - that is true - but the dogmatic approach in some suggestions here are equally problematic.

GeneFC wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:44 pm Nonsense.
That sketch is completely ambiguous without further rules or guesses. I did not say it cannot be processed, but it cannot be processed in a unique and unambigous way.
I could pull and stretch that sketch in many different ways, all of them "correct".
Truth is, connecting to what I started to reply to DRmacro, that FreeCAD only allows one way how to deal with sketches and that is it.
One feature one sketch. You cannot use one sketch and feed multiple features.

One could say it makes a design more clean - I would say it will blow up a parametric design because of all the extra added features.

It is not that one is better than the other - they each provide advantages and disadvantages.
CAD is not only about making a model but also use CAD as a design tool.
How you use it requires ideally to offer different workflows.

Clearly the OP did not know that FreeCAD needs closed shape sketches without any internal non-construction geometry.
But I can sketch the same way in multiple CAD apps and they can extrude from the profiles no problem.
FreeCAD just passes the brute sketch result/entity to the modeling feature and it is not able to allow a modeling feature to select the full sketch or a selection of sketch profiles or sub elements.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Cekuhnen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:50 pm ...
FreeCAD only allows one way how to deal with sketches and that is it.
One feature one sketch. You cannot use one sketch and feed multiple features.

One could say it makes a design more clean - I would say it will blow up a parametric design because of all the extra added features.

Clearly the OP did not know that FreeCAD needs closed shape sketches without any internal non-construction geometry.
But I can sketch the same way in multiple CAD apps and they can extrude from the profiles no problem.
FreeCAD just passes the brute sketch result/entity to the modeling feature and it is not able to allow a modeling feature to select the full sketch or a selection of sketch profiles or sub elements.
It is true that the subtlety of single closed profile and only one nest deep can be missed when first reading the wiki, and of course it is basically glossed over in most videos or other tutorials. It is also not necessarily obvious, when mentioned in those sources, to not grok why it is important.

But, I'd argue that, while the process is certainly different and realized by other names in FreeCAD, it can be done and is used by many.

You'll note below there is only one sketch.
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-4cbd99.png
Snip macro screenshot-4cbd99.png (87.27 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
DeathByRebellion

Post by DeathByRebellion »

Cekuhnen wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:04 pm
GeneFC wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:13 pm It is not simply a FreeCAD failing.
Well works in all my cad apps where you can select sketch profiles together

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 4.03.25 PM.png

freecad simply cannot select sketch profiles or individual edges from a sketch for modeling features.
That's not how you make a picatinny rail :lol: :lol: :lol:
𝕾𝖊𝖑𝖋 𝖙𝖆𝖚𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖌𝖆𝖓𝖌
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:40 pm
It is true that the subtlety of single closed profile and only one nest deep can be missed when first reading the wiki, and of course it is basically glossed over in most videos or other tutorials. It is also not necessarily obvious, when mentioned in those sources, to not grok why it is important.

But, I'd argue that, while the process is certainly different and realized by other names in FreeCAD, it can be done and is used by many.

You'll note below there is only one sketch.
Yes one sketch but needed extra features - shapebinders or Chili’s exports (realthunder)

For complex designs this is less ideal but works
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Cekuhnen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:50 pm You want that they ask objective questions - then maybe we should simply limit our self also to objective answers.
I think I was rather objective: OP complains that things are broken and says at the same time that he doesn't know the program. What should we do with such statements?
This is no kindergarten; what should be a reason to baby such posters as much as possible? Would they contribute to the code? Would they donate lots of money? Or do they rather cost time?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Cekuhnen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:24 pm ...
For complex designs this is less ideal but works
Well, I disagree, but, I also choose not to use the workflow (the one from other software, not my example, though I don't use my example either :mrgreen: ) because it leaves a sloppy audit trail of how the model was produced. IMO the FreeCAD process is far better for well defined and sustainable models.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:40 pm It is true that the subtlety of single closed profile and only one nest deep can be missed when first reading the wiki, and of course it is basically glossed over in most videos or other tutorials. It is also not necessarily obvious, when mentioned in those sources, to not grok why it is important.
yeah i am not new to CAD but i had the hardest time with freecads wiki to effectively and fast learn it. truth is the data is there just often buried in too much text. but yes it is there! Holariously I was looking for a boolean extrude while FreeCAD has a dedicated tools like pocket for that. took me a moment.
drmacro wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:18 pm Well, I disagree, but, I also choose not to use the workflow
i guess i also take about two very different use cases cad for production and cad for ideation.
so i also agree here too when we talk about manufacturing models.

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:56 pm I think I was rather objective:
thats what I often also thought about myself. I do agree with you - the wording is not objective and comes across as ranting.
I guess what i do with students in such cases is to let them vent and correct their approach on their own and not even react.
ironically i draw a lot from being a parent of a 2v and 4 year old when dealing with students.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University