Saving and loading preferences?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Brutha

Saving and loading preferences?

Post by Brutha »

Hi All,

Quick question - is anyone aware of any way I can save and load sets of preferences? Or ideally save preferences within the FreeCAD file?

I use FreeCAD for various things from small 3d printed objects, through slightly bigger designs to more architectural sized things. And each time I swap between them, I have to go and change the grid size and units etc, to something suitable for that particular design.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Brutha
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Saving and loading preferences?

Post by openBrain »

You can use the command line switches to use several different configuration files.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Start_up_an ... ne_options
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Wasn't chennes working on something to save and load parts of the config?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I think kisolre put together a script or something for this or something similar once, if memory serves, but I can't recall the details.
kisolre wrote: pinged by pinger macro
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:58 pm but I can't recall the details.
If I remember correctly it was more like a FR when I was trying to run FreeCAD as a portable app from an USB drive.
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

openBrain wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:15 pm You can use the command line switches to use several different configuration files.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Start_up_an ... ne_options
Thanks - in fact the link to the config file location is very handy too, I can probably do something to swap those!

Thanks to the others who replied too!
Frotz

Post by Frotz »

Apologies for the necro-post, but has anyone explored the idea of embedding preferences into a FreeCAD file? It would be a big help when switching between different projects.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Frotz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:04 am Apologies for the necro-post, but has anyone explored the idea of embedding preferences into a FreeCAD file? It would be a big help when switching between different projects.
Quite some time ago there was a discussion about including the unit system, or perhaps use different unit systems for loaded files.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Frotz

Post by Frotz »

chrisb wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:31 am
Frotz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:04 am Apologies for the necro-post, but has anyone explored the idea of embedding preferences into a FreeCAD file? It would be a big help when switching between different projects.
Quite some time ago there was a discussion about including the unit system, or perhaps use different unit systems for loaded files.
What came of it?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Frotz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:31 pm What came of it?
I don't remember the details, but I don't think it resulted in a feature request.