Making a spoilboard...cont.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jarhead_h

Making a spoilboard...cont.

Post by jarhead_h »

Having just a stellar day. I am using TWO different versions of .19, the one from the Fedora repo, and the appimage downloaded yesterday. I cannot get either one to compute the operations for all of these holes without crashing. Just freezes up, after an hour I click the x a couple times, says it isn't responding and I close it. Then recovery mode actually works, so far every time, much to my surprise. From this point on in the file, in Path I can successfully complete a helix operation for the 20mm shallow circles, and a Pocket for the 8mm circles that I cannot bore all the way through. The stock is 31mm, my tool bit is only 22mm. I was going to go to -17mm just to be safe. I am going to have to flip the stock over to finish it out in place.

The Fedo repo version seems to be less stable than the appimage. I just re-tried the helix operation on one shallow circle as I was typing this and it crashed. And now also with the appimage, so "FreeCAD_0.19-24291-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64". I'm running a Ryzen 2600, 32GB of DDR4, Fedora 34, just updated to whatever the kernel is two days ago. 5.13 something?

I'm stumped. Not difficult to do, but I've wasted an entire day trying to do what should should be a straightforward operation. And I can't even upload the file that I am working with because it's literally less than .1MB too damn big. Best I can do is the object itself. ANd before you ask, this is the stock that I have. This is the board I will be using. The hole placement is optimized for the cutting area of my diy router.

EDIT: Have also tried a Pocket 3D operation using the 20mm circle as the selected geometry. It finishes all the holes in the sim, but the inability to set a final depth means a crash because I don't have a long enough end mill.

EDIT: NVM. Looks like I have one bit long enough to do the 31.75mm so gonna try the Pocket 3D because it's the only operation that completes without the program freezing. I can't cut half of the holes, flip the board over, and finish them out. It will not let me.
Attachments
Spoilboard-V2.FCStd
(910.48 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Screenshot from 2021-09-11 17-22-50.png
Screenshot from 2021-09-11 17-22-50.png (331.23 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
BOOTSTRAPPY WORKSHOP - Where we do more with less
https://tv.gab.com/channel/lowellhouser
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Making a spoilboard...cont.

Post by chrisb »

When using Path workbench, you should retry with the latest 0.20 version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

0.20 also has enhanced(speedy) patterns.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Bance wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 am 0.20 also has enhanced(speedy) patterns.
Indeed.
Please note that you may have to change the number of occurrences in the pattern functions. They are always set to (horrible!) 3 when opening a 0.19 model in 0.20.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I don't know anything about Path, but a very, very long time ago, on the first CNCs (which still worked with an oil lamp :!: :lol: )
for repetitive operations, it was enough to define the first one and to say to the machine "identical the next one to X Y"
this is no longer done :?:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:32 am this is no longer done :?:
Well, Path workbench has the PathArray function, which is much faster than the patterns.
jarhead_h

Post by jarhead_h »

Oh hey, so THIS is why it keeps freezing:

Appimage problems in Fedora 34
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 51#p510504

At first the solution for this wasn't working - said command not found. Added executable permissions to both and now appimagetool is humming away in the background as I'm typing. And it fired up. Using the .20 - FreeCAD_weekly-builds-25645-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64. It finished repackaging and after a double click it fired up. Will see if this helps.

This may not be a popular opinion because I seem to have had more trouble than most around here, but I think a feature freeze and massive bug hunt would be my advice to the devs. You guys do an incredible thing for no money, and can't thank you enough, but the biggest obstacle to me using this application has not been learning curve or workflow, it's been bugs.

Right now I have been trying to add these to my tools for days:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1-8- ... 263174-_-N&

They are a 1/8 endmill. I grabbed the file in the "bit" folder for 5mm_Endmill.fctb and changed the values to reflect a 2flute 1/8 endmill with a 22mm length, and it worked. So far so good, right? I take my already modified but working file and change the tool lengths to 38mm to reflect the lonnger bit from the HomeDepot link and I get denied saying there is an error. The file is attached. I have no idea what's wrong.

EDIT: Not sure why it wouldn't accept me manually editing the file, however when I use the tool creation feature in the tool library it just worked. it didn't do that in .19. No more freezes happening. Just does the math that I ask it to now. Definite improvement.

EDIT: I've been fighting this thing for two months. I had one crash in the hours since, which recovered easily. Basically, things just work now. Now I just feel like a twit.
Attachments
8_spiral-saw.fctb
(310 Bytes) Downloaded 29 times
Screenshot from 2021-09-12 12-39-55.png
Screenshot from 2021-09-12 12-39-55.png (322.56 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
jarhead_h

Post by jarhead_h »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:34 am
papyblaise wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:32 am this is no longer done :?:
Well, Path workbench has the PathArray function, which is much faster than the patterns.
Well, fast, and my cnc router in the same sentence? Not so much. Running it on 36volt 115 when I want to be running it on 48volt 240. That's a next year kinda thing. Trust me, it ain't the software slowing me down.
steve123

Post by steve123 »

This is an interesting spoilboard design. If you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of the 4mm milled channels along the X and Y axis?

Is the spoilboard one solid piece of material or did you laminate two pieces together?

I read on another site someone suggested to use OSB instead of MDF. The reasoning was the OSB would hold a screw or insert better. OSB isn't as flat as MDF but after you surface the spoilboard, does it make any difference?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.02.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.02.37 AM.png (117.62 KiB) Viewed 898 times