Trying the pocket command: "Cannot use this command..."

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rek

Trying the pocket command: "Cannot use this command..."

Post by rek »

i want to put a pocket all the way through a fusion of a few bodies. FreeCAD 0.19

fist I select a face on the object and start sketch mode, but it needs a reference, so i select the recommended one
first_i_tried_to_create_a_sketch_on_this_face.jpg
first_i_tried_to_create_a_sketch_on_this_face.jpg (78.69 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
secondly this happens, not a clue why.
second_this_weird_thing_happened.png
second_this_weird_thing_happened.png (21.08 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
thirdly i proceed with sketching a circle
thirdly_i_draw_a_circle.jpg
thirdly_i_draw_a_circle.jpg (74.05 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
finally, no pocketing is allowed.
and_try_to_pocket_then_this_error_message.jpg
and_try_to_pocket_then_this_error_message.jpg (74.6 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

The situation is so complicated, too many questions, can't think of the right one.

Want pocket. How do? (project file attached)

Also, I am trying to use the "Dynamite Plunger" tool to 'create an edge linked to an external geometry' and it does not appear to be able to 'see' the sketches I'm trying to point the tool at. I want to try and put some kind of guides in place so I can be as precise as possible while placing the pocket. I need a pocket and not a hole because I am going through two different sketches at once, made of two round parts that are stacked:
Attachments
want_pocket_how_do.FCStd
(99.48 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
rek

Re: Trying the pocket command: "Cannot use this command..."

Post by rek »

two_stacked_round_bodies_one_pocket_through_them.jpg
two_stacked_round_bodies_one_pocket_through_them.jpg (48.15 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
this will be a 3d printed part with m4 screw holes. I used a fusion command to hold the pieces together because i did not know a way to extrude a shape from an already existing shape like Sketchup's push-pull tool would do.

but after a part-fusion operation has been done, it seems non-trivial to apply a pocket over that.

my next try will be to attempt to draw a cylinder pad where the pocket should go, and try to do a boolean cut operation.

alright, that didn't work. and FreeCAD crashed while trying.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

In sketch001 is a redundant dimension of 96 mm, the solver did not see this and it prevented the sketch from placing in X and Y direction.
On the Pad you only need 2 fillets of 5 and 10 mm, doing all fillets separate is not wrong but the file is better to read when you combine them.
Design the whole thing in 1 body, making 5 separate body's and fuse them is wrong.
Here is your file reworked
Attachments
want_pocket_Willem.FCStd
(81.15 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Willem wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 am In sketch001 is a redundant dimension of 96 mm, the solver did not see this and it prevented the sketch from placing in X and Y direction.
On the Pad you only need 2 fillets of 5 and 10 mm, doing all fillets separate is not wrong but the file is better to read when you combine them.
Design the whole thing in 1 body, making 5 separate body's and fuse them is wrong.
Use mirror function for identical parts.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

rek

Post by rek »

Willem wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:55 am
Willem wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 am In sketch001 is a redundant dimension of 96 mm, the solver did not see this and it prevented the sketch from placing in X and Y direction.
Use mirror function for identical parts.
Thanks. I wonder what you mean about designing it as one body, I can't imagine how to do that. For example, how do you transition from a small cube to a large cylinder in one piece?
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

rek

Post by rek »

great food for thought. will of course check that out but I am dwelling on the very first tutorials.

I thought lofts were for gradual transitions, didn't know they could be used to make a cube abutted against a cylinder out of one sketch. I suppose it could be interesting to see what the minimum transition zone could be verified. But either way, it does seem that to make a loft transition between a rectangle and a circle, you'd still need at least those two sketches anyway so I wonder what the advantage would be to lofting such a transition. Shouldn't a pocket be able to be made to go through a boolean-fused compound part?
Last edited by rek on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Which tutorial are you doing and where are you stuck?
rek

Post by rek »

Bance wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:40 pm Which tutorial are you doing and where are you stuck?
I was doing the "try stuff on your own now" portion of the first tutorial https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Creating_a_ ... PartDesign

I got stuck on a few things, having forgotten that I was instructed in the tutorial to try the Driver/Reference modes, and forgot I left Reference mode on and it caught me by surprise. I will try the next tutorial, and thank you very much for the help.

The great news is that I cris-crossed two cylindrical pockets through this tutorial piece and it sliced perfectly in Prusaslicer. It's for this reason that I am pursuing FreeCAD with a degree of intensity at this time.