Move a Point with the Transform Manipulator

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sebjf

Move a Point with the Transform Manipulator

Post by sebjf »

Hi,

I am trying to move a Point with the Transform Manipulator (0.20, latest master as of this eve), however it isn't working as expected.

To see this,
- Start a new process
- Open the Draft WB
- Place a point somewhere
- Right Click the Point in the Model Combo View and select Transform

The Transform Manipulator shows up and the point appears to move with it, but when I click OK under the Task View the Point appears in its original position.

Is there something else I need to do to enable the Transform to work with the point like this?

Sj
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Move a Point with the Transform Manipulator

Post by thomas-neemann »

sebjf wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:25 pm
I can confirm this, but isn't it faster to create a new point than to move an existing one?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

It is strange the way this object is implemented. The placement is a hidden property that gets linked via expressions to the X,Y,Z properties each time the object recomputes. You can make a similar object in Part workbench in the create primitives dialog. That one can be dragged with the dragger tool and is also attachable.
sebjf

Post by sebjf »

Thanks for the replies!
isn't it faster to create a new point than to move an existing one?
I've been experimenting with planning wiring & piping - working out installation methods, routes, lengths - with FreeCAD using the Draft Wire.
This often involves placing vertices in free space (imagine the intersection of a vertical wall chase with a line of holes in a set of joists), for which I use a point as a snap target.

I could set a plane or try to key in the offsets, but to me it's easier and more intuitive to place a Point nearby and adjust it with the manipulator. It has more than enough precision for this application.
You can make a similar object in Part workbench in the create primitives dialog. That one can be dragged with the dragger tool and is also attachable.
I didn't think of just using another object, that also works!