0.19.2 Sketcher: Hiding/Blanking constraints

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ideasvacuum

0.19.2 Sketcher: Hiding/Blanking constraints

Post by ideasvacuum »

Before exporting as an image or printing, it would be great if all Geometric constraints could be hidden/blanked (option to blank Datum constraints could be useful too).
I know they can be hidden individually via the tree, but can they all be hidden by selecting an option?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: 0.19.2 Sketcher: Hiding/Blanking constraints

Post by chrisb »

Why should they be hidden? If it is for technical documentation, then TechDraw is the way to go.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

In sketcher there is the switch virtual space option to show a view without contraints.
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

Hi Chrisb
If it is for technical documentation, then TechDraw is the way to go.
It is not for technical documentation. I'm a newbie, but as I think I understand it, TechDraw produces 2D Views from a 3D model. I am not producing a 3D model, just working out a complex plan view for which the Sketcher's parametrics are perfect.
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

TheMarkster wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:03 am In sketcher there is the switch virtual space option to show a view without contraints.
That is exactly what I need - works perfectly, thank you TheMarkster.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

ideasvacuum wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 pm as I think I understand it, TechDraw produces 2D Views from a 3D model. I am not producing a 3D model, just working out a complex plan view for which the Sketcher's parametrics are perfect.
Yes, but TechDraw also can work with sketches as input. I use this all the time since the scaling is automatically correct. When exporting sketches directly the scaling is undefined.

If you only want an illustration then exporting a sketch is fine. If you want the result to be correctly sized then TechDraw is the way to go.

Gene
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

When exporting sketches directly the scaling is undefined.
I'm just printing it - the dimensions are important but it doesn't have to be correctly sized. However, TechDraw would allow me to use a range of colours for the same entity type?

I just added a TechDraw page to a file containing a Sketch, but in the menu it offers to insert everything but a Sketch? :shock:
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
Rectangular array.FCStd
(8.55 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

Nice example file Shalmeneser, but not possible to change line colours of the Sketch in the TechDraw?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

ideasvacuum wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:25 pm I just added a TechDraw page to a file containing a Sketch, but in the menu it offers to insert everything but a Sketch?
Insert View works fine. Just select the sketch in the 3D window and click the Insert View icon or use the menu.

Gene