strange behavior revolving a circle (solved)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: strange behavior revolving a circle

Post by openBrain »

dl9lc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 am blame on me - the prefs where damaged.
Thanks for your patience and help.
Generally what happens is that for some reason, the deviation/deflection values for rendering end up with a very low value, hence any curved object takes forever to render. ;)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Syres wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:59 am I do remember when the packagers were testing 0.19.1 that the Mesh Wb was giving trouble with a specific part of the CPU instruction set.
The issue was specifically AVX and Netgen. Some lesser processors do not have AVX and will not work with versions of Netgen that are compiled to use AVX.

Probably not an issue in this case.

Gene
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

dl9lc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:56 am It seems to me specific to the i5-8500 Processor.
In general and for the next time (since the issue seems to be resolved already):

- Can you please post here your example file to test?
- Does this file work with FreeCAD 0.19 as downloaded from our website?

This assures that you test with preferences that are not mangled since the preferences of 0.19 are stored in another folder than the ones of FC 0.20.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

dl9lc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 am blame on me - the prefs where damaged.
Thanks for your patience and help.
Good to hear. Can you please edit your initial post and add the prefix "[invalid]" to the title.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:24 pm Good to hear. Can you please edit your initial post and add the prefix "[invalid]" to the title.
Why "invalid" rather than "solved"? OP had an issue and found a solution. If another user has same problem, it would be perfectly valid to look at this thread... :?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

openBrain wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:45 pm Why "invalid" rather than "solved"?
Because he had mangled preferences. Therefore there was no real bug and nothing was done by the developers to "fix" this.

The problem described in the thread is therefore not helpful for others - it is not clear what was wrong with the preferences and how he managed to break the preferences. Therefore there is also no info how the reporter solved the issue.
"[invalid]" implies therefore other future users searching for help that this thread won't solve their problem.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:51 pm Because he had mangled preferences. Therefore there was no real bug and nothing was done by the developers to "fix" this.
This isn't "[Bug]", just "[Solved]" which means OP solved its issue. More than 95% of threads tagged with "solved" never implied any code fix...
The problem described in the thread is therefore not helpful for others - it is not clear what was wrong with the preferences and how he managed to break the preferences. Therefore there is also no info how the reporter solved the issue.
"[invalid]" implies therefore other future users searching for help that this thread won't solve their problem.
If one user can inadvertently damage preferences, others can also. And I gave solution, that OP indeed didn't reproduce in the thread.

Anyway, I don't really care if you want to introduce your hunky funky "invalid" tag. ;)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

openBrain wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm Anyway, I don't really care if you want to introduce your hunky funky "invalid" tag. ;)
Oh, I did not want to invent something new, "invalid" is just in most bug trackers the label for bug reports like this one here.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

About half of the posts in the Help forum would end up as "Invalid". A lot of the difficulty can be attributed to user error.

Might be OK for a bug tracker, but pretty unfriendly for a Help forum.

Gene
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:51 pm Might be OK for a bug tracker, but pretty unfriendly for a Help forum.
Indeed. I forgot this is not a forum to report only bugs. So indeed "[solved]" is the better option.