Please help total nooby

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
farmer95

Please help total nooby

Post by farmer95 »

Hello everyone, complete beginner here looking for some help. Recently got into the world of 3d printing and I'm wanting to print out this skull but I wanted to add some teeth to it, how do I get the teeth 3d model over the top of the skull to make it into one model? Hope this question makes sense lol.
Attachments
wtf am i doing.PNG
wtf am i doing.PNG (219.18 KiB) Viewed 525 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Please help total nooby

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Depending on what your input format is, FreeCAD may not be the optimal tool for such organic shapes. Blender may be more suitable.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Please help total nooby

Post by TheMarkster »

If they are good meshes it might be possible to do this in Mesh Design. Or it might fail. Hard to say without the file to experiment with.

Create a cube primitive, size and position it to the mask with teeth such that it encompasses only the bits you want to transfer to the other mesh.
The cube can be sized in the properties in the data tab of the property view. It can be positioned either by editing the placement property or right click on it in the tree view, select transform, and use the dragger tool.

Do a boolean intersection with the cube and the mask with teeth. The result of this will be only the bits where the cube and the mask with teeth coincide.

Use the same cube, positioned appropriately, but not resized to do a boolean cut (difference) with the other mask to make a hole where you want to put the teeth.

Position the intersection with the cut and do a boolean union to fuse them together.

If the masks are not near enough the same size you can scale one of them.

You might need to install the OpenSCAD binary. I think Mesh Design booleans sometimes use it.