Menu and Icons are cropped and not visible

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
beraroh600

Menu and Icons are cropped and not visible

Post by beraroh600 »

Please help UI is broken in FreeCAD 0.19 Vanilla Installation on Arch Linux.

Menus are also broken cant even take screenshot of that.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added image tag
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Menu and Icons are cropped and not visible

Post by chrisb »

Please retry with a current 0.20. If it still doesn't work, come back and attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:20 am Please retry with a current 0.20. If it still doesn't work, come back and attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.
Sad to say, at least with Debian and xfce, with prodark stylesheet, my current impression is this issue is worse in 0.20.
:(
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
blistic

Post by blistic »

I also ran into this problem, the exact same visual issue and it made freecad impossible to use - vanilla Arch linux with XFCE desktop. I tried a few things and managed to fix it by changing my font DPI setting from 92 to 96. Appearance>Fonts>DPI>Custom DPI setting:>96. Hope it helps someone else.
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

Have you tried going to preferences > General change toolbar icon size I use medium 24px, Although I still have problems with some menus whereas other can be enlarged by dragging the border.
parallelcliff

Post by parallelcliff »

blistic wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 pm I also ran into this problem, the exact same visual issue and it made freecad impossible to use - vanilla Arch linux with XFCE desktop. I tried a few things and managed to fix it by changing my font DPI setting from 92 to 96. Appearance>Fonts>DPI>Custom DPI setting:>96. Hope it helps someone else.
Thank you. Thank you and thank you! :D
I'm on Debian 11 and XFCE I had messed with the DPI setting before for some other program graphical glitch. Your recommendation fixed my problem.
jw42

Post by jw42 »

Same problem, version 0.20 from the beta snap channel on Ubuntu 20.04.

Had to change the font scaling (Fonts->Scaling Factor) from 0.90 to 1.00 in gnome tweaks.
glinsvad

Post by glinsvad »

I've experienced the same issue on Ubuntu MATE 22.04 with both FreeCAD versions 0.19 and 0.20.2 and couldn't get any of the font scaling options to make all the text in the menus visible regardless of DPI scalings, but then I came across the workaround to simply turn off auto scaling in another thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=41656

On the command line, it works for me to just start freecad with the QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR environment variable set to zero like this:

Code: Select all

QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 freecad
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

glinsvad wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:10 pm but then I came across the workaround
I have added this to the known issues.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.