Creating a fillet from the union of two bodies

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
slessard

Creating a fillet from the union of two bodies

Post by slessard »

Hello,

I'm jsut beginning using Freecad. I have created a first body from a sketch and a cube. Created a fusion of the two parts to get the intersection lines in the hope to get a handle on that line and draw a fillet.
Here is my config :

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)

Here is the part
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (59.78 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
The Pad is the bottom part with two Pockets on the sides.
The Cube is the top angled piece.
I want to add fillets on the two highlighted intersecting lines.
I am not sure the part is constructed the right way. What is the best way? I created the first body, then added the cube and moved manually/added the angle, then fused the two bodies.
Should I have instead draw a second body "under" the first Body item, so it appears like a "child" of the "Body" item instead of being at the same level like it is right now?

Right now, if I select the edge where I want the fillet, click on fillet, then OK, the whole part disappear (Part toolset).
In Part Design toolset, I get the popup error message "Select an edge, face or body from an active body", although the edge was selected...

Thanks for your help!
Simon
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Creating a fillet from the union of two bodies

Post by TheMarkster »

Try the fillet tool in Part workbench. You can only use the Part Design fillet on features inside the Body. The Fusion is the object you are now working with, and it's a Part workbench object with the Body as one of its component objects.

Edit: You should also set Refine = True on the Fusion object to get rid of any extra edges before doing the fillet.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Puisque tu es neewbie , je me permet des conseils : évite de mélanger Part et PartDesign
et j'ai tendance à dire que Part permet une approche plus pas à pas , l’inconvenant et qu'il faut additionner (fusion) ou soustraire les morceaux à chaque étape
Dans PartDesign , les add ou soustractions sont automatiques , mais le droit à repentir est trés limité à cause des renommage topologiques
dans tous les cas il faut faire Refine =True pour effacer les traces des objets séparés et créer des arètes aux lignes de jonctions
si tu fusionne un objet de PartDesign avec un objet de Part , le résultant est automatiquement dans Part , pour continuer avec PartDesign tu dois ouvrir un nouveau body et y reproduire le résultant sous forme de Basefeature (glisser / déposer à la souris)
et dans ton cas , l'arète intérieur va être difficile à sélectionner , il faut que tu passe par "Style >Filaire"

Since you are neewbie, I allow myself some advice: avoid mixing Part and PartDesign
and I tend to say that Part allows a more step-by-step approach, the inconvenient and that you have to add (merge) or subtract the pieces at each step
In PartDesign, add or subtraction are automatic, but the right to repent is very limited due to topological renaming
in all cases, Refine = True to erase the traces of the separated objects and create edges at the junction lines
if you merge a PartDesign object with a Part object, the result is automatically in Part, to continue with PartDesign you have to open a new body and reproduce the result there in the form of Basefeature (drag / drop with the mouse)
and in your case, the inner edge will be difficult to select, you have to go through "Style> Wireframe"
Attachments
socle.FCStd
(34.71 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
socle.PNG
socle.PNG (26.26 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
Last edited by papyblaise on Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Give us your file if it's not a secret.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I should have added there is also a cube primitive you can use in Part Design called an Additive Box. Then you would not need the fusion and you could use the Part Design fillet.
slessard

Post by slessard »

TheMarkster wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 am Edit: You should also set Refine = True on the Fusion object to get rid of any extra edges before doing the fillet.
Thanks for the suggestion, I was looking for this for so long! Perfectly removes unnecessary lines.
With that enabled, the fillet function in Part works perfectly!
I really have to better understand the design process and how to properly use Part vs Part Design...
Thanks for your support!
slessard

Post by slessard »

Merci Papyblaise pour ton explication. Je suis en effet très newbie. Et merci pour la traduction!
Je dois par contre avouer que je n'ai pas bien tout saisi comment bien utiliser Part et Part Design. C'est clairement la clé de mes problèmes!
Je commence à comprendre qu'il faut éviter de se balader d'un à l'autre autant que possible.
Est-ce que j'aurai été mieux de tout construire dans Part Design en ajoutant des solides par extrusion?

Merci de ton commentaire!
slessard

Post by slessard »

TheMarkster wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:10 pm I should have added there is also a cube primitive you can use in Part Design called an Additive Box. Then you would not need the fusion and you could use the Part Design fillet.
Totally works! It feels simpler to me.
Thanks for your help everyone!
slessard

Post by slessard »

So now that my part look great :
single.PNG
single.PNG (6.56 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
I need to mirror it in order to get this :
double.PNG
double.PNG (8.59 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
and preserve a link between the two parts so that if I change a dimension on the lower part, it also changes on the upper part.
I assembled the two parts with manual placement so it is not really precise and it is a basic cut and paste to create the second part.

What is the correct way to do it?
I tried Mirror in Part workbench. I cannot select any other plane than the native planes.
I tried Symetry in Part Design, but I can only select additive and substractive features for transformation.
Should I go with an assembly of two copies of the bottom part?

Thanks again!
Simon
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

slessard wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:57 am .....
Hi slessard, greetings to the Community!
In the images what you are trying to obtain is not a mirror or symmetry, it is rather a copy rotated (180 °) on an axis orthogonal to the view placed on the plane of the head square in a central position.
The two attached * .gif examples clarify what has been said above.
The first * .gif performs the mirroring or symmetry using Wb "Draft" (but you can use the other functions that other Wb have), changing any size it affects the symmetrical.
When changing the angles or the length of the inclined beam, it is necessary to realign the contact planes.
The second * .gif example shows what you wanted to do, that is a copy rotated by 180 ° on the axis orthogonal to the view placed on the plane of the head square in a central position to the side.
To do this, simply create a “Link” and rotate it as mentioned above.
Also in this case any modification will affect the Link and the contact planes will have to be realigned if the angles or the length of the inclined crosspiece are changed.
Attachments
Simmetry.gif
Simmetry.gif (719.12 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
Create_rotate_link.gif
Create_rotate_link.gif (814.68 KiB) Viewed 3171 times