STL Mesh to Part. Need some ideas for getting photogrammetry to FreeCAD part

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jeno
Veteran

Re: STL Mesh to Part. Need some ideas for getting photogrammetry to FreeCAD part

Post by jeno »

wwwsam wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:06 am @jeno @domad
Thank you for the reply!
Here's a link to the *.stl and *.las
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fhli1etav4ie ... kUlJa?dl=0
The longer the *.stl name the smaller the file/less faces (as some people may not be able to open full size)
ie. Rotated = rotated approx -24.5 degree in meshmixer on Z axis so XYZ roughly align
Poissonn/decimate = filters in meshmixer
I played with it a bit more bit cannot apply thickness on the part.
All thickness seems to do is generate some dots of noise. Maybe the shape is too complex?
Did some remeshing in Blender. I tried to preserve as much as possible of the topology.
Now the mesh is about 92k of faces. It gets solid but it took around 2 min.
Is it possible to cut more unnecessary areas away to reduce the amount of faces?
wwwsam.png
wwwsam.png (270.97 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Regards
wwwsam

Re: STL Mesh to Part. Need some ideas for getting photogrammetry to FreeCAD part

Post by wwwsam »

@thomas-neemann
Thanks for the video, I might give manually modelling it from a point cloud a shot if theres no other way from mesh.

@mrdic
I did notice the cross section tool made a good starting point, but I didn't know where to go from there.
Sorry I'm bad with my terminology, but what object does cross section tool make? The icon looks like parts but it's just lines?
And I assume you'll somehow have to make to into sketches so you use loft tool on it?

@jeno
That looks great!
The textured surfaces could ideally be smoothed off as they are unnecessary, and the two round parts that stick out could be replaced by maybe a cylinder or a cube.
wwwsam

Post by wwwsam »

Well I finally got around to playing with it again, and I managed to do what I wanted without having to draw the whole thing in FreeCAD.

For future reference, I used FreeCAD and it's Part-->Boolean options to manipulate it to roughly the solid I want.
After that, I brought it into Meshmixer and used "Hollow" to basically do a thickness on it. (It was surprisingly quick and easy!)

I also had tried Blender and it just never worked as nicely as Meshmixer's inbuilt tools.
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (169.85 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (132.31 KiB) Viewed 531 times