Copying shape from master sketch fails on curves

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jze

Copying shape from master sketch fails on curves

Post by jze »

Hello,

when I follow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yee1pSqTLg to make another sketch linked to master sketch (to be able to extrude different parts of the sketch with different size), I select all the points from master sketch and then I draw the same shape in the "slave" sketch. When I have the entire shape drawn I hide the master sketch but only part of the shape in the "slave" sketch is shown although I can see (zoomed in), that there ARE all points connected (in the attached picture the green sketch is the master one and the white is the recognized part of the "slave" sketch).

Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 582c26ea8b5f9d85957a6cb1bf798839fa2ce94c
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: Czech/CzechRepublic (cs_CZ)
Attachments
Snímek obrazovky_2021-10-01_21-25-14.png
Snímek obrazovky_2021-10-01_21-25-14.png (166.32 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Copying shape from master sketch fails on curves

Post by chrisb »

jze wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:41 pm Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?
You do something wrong, but without the file we don't know what. A wild guess: You made parts of the sketch as construction geometry shown in blue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

I don't understand why he selects vertex.
Lines are easier to catch and gives less external objects selected (better to repair after tnp).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For such use cases it is worth to consider Sketcher CarbonCopy.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jze

Post by jze »

chrisb wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:36 pm
jze wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:41 pm Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?
You do something wrong, but without the file we don't know what. A wild guess: You made parts of the sketch as construction geometry shown in blue.
No, I did not.

I did not save the previous attempt so I recreated it again. Although I am not aware of doing anything differently,
this time it looks different, but I wasn't able to create a pad from the copy anyway as it threw an error (vzpěra2a.FCStd).
Attachments
vzpěra2a.FCStd
(21.96 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Last edited by jze on Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jze

Post by jze »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:45 am I don't understand why he selects vertex.
Lines are easier to catch and gives less external objects selected (better to repair after tnp).
Because the video explicitly stated not to. After selecting all lines/curves (turned red) what would I do?
jze

Post by jze »

chrisb wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:16 am For such use cases it is worth to consider Sketcher CarbonCopy.
I tried (see attached file vzpěra2.FCStd) but when I tried to create a pad it threw an error.
Attachments
vzpěra2.FCStd
carboncopy
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jze wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:00 am I tried
There is no CarbonCopy in Sketch. It is empty and thus cannot be padded.
Furthermore you have garbled the model with an additional free floating XY_Plane001 .
jze

Post by jze »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:11 am
jze wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:00 am I tried
There is no CarbonCopy in Sketch. It is empty and thus cannot be padded.
Furthermore you have garbled the model with an additional free floating XY_Plane001 .
??? When I doubleclick any of the sketches I can see the shape (in Sketch001 with constraints, in Sketch just the shape).
The XY_Plane001 was added automatically.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jze wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am ??? When I doubleclick any of the sketches I can see the shape (in Sketch001 with constraints, in Sketch just the shape).
Edit "Sketch". The solver message says "Empty Sketch". The list of elements is empty and so is, of course, the list of constraints. Editing a sketch doesn't automatically create a CarbonCopy. Believe me, it is empty.
What you see when editing "Sketch" is indeed Sketch001. Test the following: make Sketch001 invisible and edit Sketch again.
The XY_Plane001 was added automatically.
Not really. If you create a sketch outside of a body it is created without such a plane. You probably copied it from inside of a body with dependencies included.