Convert .psp to .svg

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
petert7

Convert .psp to .svg

Post by petert7 »

Hello,

I'm a beginner to FreeCAD and have fallen over at the first hurdle. Basically, I've drawn lots of motor racing circuits using a vector drawing package called PaintShopPro (version 7, the later versions confuse me). These vector drawings are saved as .psp, but there is no facility to save as .svg. [The latest PSP v22 can import .svg files, but not save as .svg files.]

I've tried googling and installed lots of promising applications, but I cannot find a way of converting from .psp to a vectored .svg, not even via other formats. I have managed to get to a flat .svg, which I don't believe is any use when it comes to extruding.

With PaintShopPro, I can save as a .png, which I was hoping would be of use, but I dragged it into FreeCAD without luck (I just get a black image).

Please bear in mind that I'm fairly useless with PaintShopPro; I only need the simple things (vectors, layers, er, vectors) and can cope more than adequately with them. I expect to be the same with FreeCAD.

Thanks.
Willem
Veteran

Re: Convert .psp to .svg

Post by Willem »

Welcome to the forum.
Try an online converter.
I am not sure but I think Inkscape can do the job
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

You can easily convert these shapes with Inkscape. Convert your *.psp projects in some raster format (*.png it's ok) and then import in Inkscape to create a vector from it. Try to find some tutorial on how to convert a raster to vector. IE (but you have a lot of tutorials there to explore):

phpBB [video]
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

petert7 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:36 pm vector drawing package called PaintShopPro
I believe PSP is a raster package, not vector. In that case you cannot really "convert" in a direct manner.

Inkscape can do a conversion to vector format. The quality depends on the details of the raster (bitmap) image.

Gene
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!
... i believe you can import * .psp files into Gimp.
jeno
Veteran

Post by jeno »

petert7 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:36 pm Hello,
I'm a beginner to FreeCAD and have fallen over at the first hurdle. Basically, I've drawn lots of motor racing circuits using a vector drawing package called PaintShopPro (version 7, the later versions confuse me). These vector drawings are saved as .psp, but there is no facility to save as .svg. [The latest PSP v22 can import .svg files, but not save as .svg files.]
There is probably a way.
Depending on what you are using, v7 from 2000 oder X7 from 2014, there is the possibility to export ai (Adobe Illustrator).
Import to inkscape is supported, but different depending on the ai-version.
For v8 and below ghostscript is needed (rename the file filename.ai to filename.eps).
Inkscape opens v9 and above out of the box.
Then export to svg is possible. Expect some loss of data but geometry should work.

Regards
petert7

Post by petert7 »

Willem wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:44 pm Welcome to the forum.
Try an online converter.
I am not sure but I think Inkscape can do the job
Thank you for the tip. I’m very dubious about trying random online converters as suggested by Google. I’ve tried a few (after further googling to reduce the risk of accessing a dodgy site) and Inscape was one that I looked at.

I’ve already downloaded a copy of Inkscape and it didn’t work. I’ve just revisited it and dragged one of my .psp file into it. After selecting the radio button for “Include SVG image as editable object(s) in the current file”, I got the error message “Failed to load the requested file <filename>”. (Actually, the other two options also came up with the same error.)

I also tried loading a .ai file as saved from PaintShopPro, but that also failed (via the Open dialog: the format is in the Open dialog’s drop-down selection for Files of Type). That wouldn’t have helped anyway, as PaintShopPro saved it as a flat file (no layers and definitely no objects).

Having said all said, see my comments to the next reply.
petert7

Post by petert7 »

ragohix769 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:09 pm You can easily convert these shapes with Inkscape. Convert your *.psp projects in some raster format (*.png it's ok) and then import in Inkscape to create a vector from it. Try to find some tutorial on how to convert a raster to vector. IE (but you have a lot of tutorials there to explore):

phpBB [video]
This looks very promising, thanks. I’ve dragged in the.png file and selected Trace Bitmap. I think I then selected it, then clicked Update and Apply. I’m not sure what that has achieved, but I don’t think I’m quite there as I could only import it into FreeCAD as a drawing, not geometry. Perhaps I failed to select the drawing.

I’ll persevere into the afternoon, as this is a very promising line of investigation. Thank you very much.
petert7

Post by petert7 »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:26 pm
petert7 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:36 pm vector drawing package called PaintShopPro
I believe PSP is a raster package, not vector. In that case you cannot really "convert" in a direct manner.

Inkscape can do a conversion to vector format. The quality depends on the details of the raster (bitmap) image.

Gene
Thank you Gene, but PSP is also a vector application. I have multiple layers, some of which are Rastor, others Vector. Vector layers contain objects that are of different types (line, bezier - curvy lines, rectangle, etc). The objects can be manipulated and have their properties changed. I’m just saying this lot to demonstrate that I understand vectors.

I’m currently looking at Inscape’s ability to transform a .png to a vector. I wasn’t keen on something that is likely to reduce the quality of the end result, but this does look promising.
petert7

Post by petert7 »

jeno wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:33 am
petert7 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:36 pm Hello,
There is probably a way.
Depending on what you are using, v7 from 2000 oder X7 from 2014, there is the possibility to export ai (Adobe Illustrator).
Import to inkscape is supported, but different depending on the ai-version.
For v8 and below ghostscript is needed (rename the file filename.ai to filename.eps).
Inkscape opens v9 and above out of the box.
Then export to svg is possible. Expect some loss of data but geometry should work.

Regards
Thanks for the idea. I’ve already tried saving to all the different output formats from PaintShopPro, including .eps and .psd, but PaintShopPro outputs a flat format to all. The same applies to PSP22, which I currently have as a trial (guilty so far). I'm currently looking at a potential solution via .png files and Inkscape.