New install won't open

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RodWW

New install won't open

Post by RodWW »

Hi First time on here and I have a problem.
I've installed FreeCad 0.19 using the download FreeCAD-0.19.2.7b5e18a-WIN-x64-installer1
Machine is a 64 bit laptop running Windows 10
When I try and open FreeCad I get a splash screen with various messages flashing up about modules and initializing and running script. Sure it says Done but then the splash screen disappears and nothing more.
Found a suggestion to run from a command line and output to a log file.
Did that and there are a lot of messages but in the middle there is:-

Err: Illegal storage access...
Err: Unhandled Base::Exception caught in GUIApplication::notify.
The error message is: Illegal storage access! Please save your work under a new file name and restart the application!
Log: The event type 14 was sent to QtWebEngineCore::RenderWidgetHostViewQtDelegateWidget

A bit tricky to save under a new file name when I can't get into FreeCAD and not knowingly opened a file yet.
There are a lot more messages after the error above and at the end of the log there is:-

Id: 5576: 00007FF8738E2651 (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlUserThreadStart
Log: *** Unhandled Exception!
Log: ExpCode: 0xC0000005
Log: ExpFlags: 0
Log: ExpAddress: 0x00000000

I have tried downloading the file again on a second laptop and installed on that with the same result.
Any ideas on how this is resolved.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: New install won't open

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have a look at the Known OS specific issues. Have a special look at the graphics card/driver issues.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
RodWW

Post by RodWW »

I had already looked in the known issues and not spotted anything relevant. I've looked again a couple more times and the only thing I can see relevant to graphic cards refers to multiple cards and Nvidia and AMD Radeon. I only have the internal Intel graphics.
Tried a suggestion on the German site regarding desktop apps and graphic settings but made no difference.
So giving up and uninstalling FreeCad.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Try version 0.20 : https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php > FreeCAD weekly builds page.
Doesn't need installation.