One chamfer works, one doesn't?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
StarlessCaviar

One chamfer works, one doesn't?

Post by StarlessCaviar »

I'm having a weird issue that I can't figure out. The chamfer on the "top"side goes all the way through the padded "wing", but the chamfer on the bottom side seems to get stuck on a hidden edge and so it doesn't follow all the way through. I have refine shapes on in properties.

What could be the problem?
Untitled.jpeg
Untitled.jpeg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
window-stop-v9.FCStd
(506.14 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.2)
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: One chamfer works, one doesn't?

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum! Good first post (FreeCAD infos, file, image, description).

I guess it is an iss coming directly from the third party OCC geometric kernel, and not much can be done. As a workaround you can cut the excess with a pocket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Without direct link to OP, but there is something weird here. When I open file, I'm strictly unable to use the 'Remove' function when editing the chamfers (Chamfer002, Chamfer003) ... :?

EDIT : Got it ! 'Remove' isn't available when only one edge is added. Not sure this is very user convenient though...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I am guessing there is a precision problem when adding the wings. Not sure if it is a "coincidence" problem or a "lack of coincidence" problem.

You might try adjusting the wings to overlap with the basic shape by a tiny amount. (Or similar adjustments.)

Gene
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

openBrain wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:25 pm Without direct link to OP, but there is something weird here.
Yes, there is something strange. Only one small edge seems to be in the dialog, but several edges are in the chamfer.

Gene
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:31 pm Yes, there is something strange. Only one small edge seems to be in the dialog, but several edges are in the chamfer.

Gene
I'm not surprised about that as it is a standard behavior in FreeCAD that chamfer edge are extended as much as possible by following the subsequent edges.
heron

Post by heron »

When making zoom in mark point:
view1.jpg
view1.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
two edges are visible instead one and the face continues:
view2.jpg
view2.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
It seems to me that the "Sketch_Wing" for the "Pad_Wing" of your model is not correctly placement.

Greetings.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

StarlessCaviar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:12 am ....
Hi StarlessCaviar, hello to the Community!
... the problem is highlighted in the animated * .gif.
I recommend making fillets and chamfers at the end of the modeling flow, never in between.
Attachments
problem.gif
problem.gif (435.16 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
StarlessCaviar

Post by StarlessCaviar »

Thanks to everyone for your kind input! I realized the wings were not properly aligned as some of your mentioned. It was because I was trying to keep the drawing parametric, and since I can't set Pads to 0 distance, I had set 0.01 thicknesses but didn't account for that in the sketch for my wings.

If anyone can suggest how to set a Pad to zero in case I want to use it in the future, please let me know!
Untitled.jpeg
Untitled.jpeg (137.76 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You cannot set the length of a pad to 0, but you can add another pocket, wich cuts it completely off.

Besides, for my taste your first sketch is far too complicated. 350 Constraints are far too much and numerous unnecessary construction lines should be removed. Limit yourself to roughly 100 constraints, use the partial symmetry and add the non symmetric stuff separately.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.