Reference(Datum) Line through sketch circle center?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Reference(Datum) Line through sketch circle center?

Post by chrisb »

garya wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:47 pm One question not answered -- is one not allowed to use the renamed object (Label) for references? One can do this with constraints, but it doesn't seem to work for objects.
What did you try? It works as always in expressions with something like <<myLabel>>.Placement...
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
garya

Post by garya »

I must be hallucinating; it seems to work fine now in the properties tab. However, I cannot select a Datum line as external geometry in a sketch from another body. In the attached file, editing sketch Sk_B2_Blk, I can't make an external geometry selection of Binder_B1_Hole_Ctr. However, if I activate Body (My_B1), I can get at the original reference line DatumLine (Ref_B1_Hole) in a sketch in My_B1.
Attachments
Assembly_RefLine.FCStd
(22.4 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

External references are something different. You need a ShapeBinder to transport geometric information from one body to another. (Didn't look at ypur example yet).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
garya

Post by garya »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:42 am External references are something different. You need a ShapeBinder to transport geometric information from one body to another. (Didn't look at ypur example yet).
It has a shape binder, which is why I don't understand what's going on. Furthermore, while I can make the actual DatumLine appear and disappear by selecting it and using the space key, I cannot get the ShapeBinder line to appear at all.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I looked at the model and understand now. You have a ShapeBinder of a DatumLine, and you are right, it is not visible and thus cannot be used for external references.

Edit: corrected previous text.
garya

Post by garya »

chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:33 pm I looked at the model and understand now. You have a ShapeBinder of a DatumLine, and you are right, it is not visible and thus cannot be used for external references.
Should this be considered a bug? If so, I'll file one.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

garya wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:25 pm Should this be considered a bug? If so, I'll file one.
Not sure if it's a bug or a feature request. I can only think of Werner to answer this.
wmayer wrote: pinged by pinger macro
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

If you hover over the object of the other body you will see a message in the status bar why it can't be added as external reference.
This object belongs to another body, can't link

I can't remember the exact details but referencing geometries of another body is not allowed any more because you can easily break your model. Maybe ickby does because he once has implemented this behaviour.

For a while it was possible to ignore the restriction by pressing a certain shortcut but this way has been removed in the meantime, too.

EDIT:
The original restriction to not allow cross coordinate-system links was discussed in epic length here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20749
In another thread it was explained in the context of sketches what might break: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24728
garya

Post by garya »

wmayer wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:20 pm If you hover over the object of the other body you will see a message in the status bar why it can't be added as external reference.
This object belongs to another body, can't link

I can't remember the exact details but referencing geometries of another body is not allowed any more because you can easily break your model. Maybe ickby does because he once has implemented this behaviour.
EDIT:
The original restriction to not allow cross coordinate-system links was discussed in epic length here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20749
In another thread it was explained in the context of sketches what might break: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24728
Those discussions are from 2017 and 0.17. This seems like it invalidates the whole concept of a shape binder. Is that correct? I have shape binders which are (were?) working fine in 0.20 and were working in 0.18 and 0.19. Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:20 pm This object belongs to another body, can't link
The issue here is a different one. It concerns only datum geometry. It is possible to add a ShapeBinder of a DatumLine or DatumPlane to another body.
These are correctly created as far as I can see ...
SnipScreenshot-688b4e.png
SnipScreenshot-688b4e.png (40.31 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
... but they are invisible and thus cannot be selected for external references in a sketch or for padding up to face for a pocket.
Attachments
datumShapeBinder.FCStd
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 33 times