Cutting a part from a mold

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
liongate

Cutting a part from a mold

Post by liongate »

I am trying to subtract a positive object from a mold for plastic injection. The object is basically a short cylinder with a circumferential groove. The object appears correct (Fig. 1) until I try to cut it -- when I cut it out the groove disappears Fig. 2). What am I doing wrong?
Fig 1.PNG
Fig 1.PNG (129.31 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
Fig 2.png
Fig 2.png (91.7 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cutting a part from a mold

Post by chrisb »

You made a Fuse, not a Cut.
I would recommend this to be modeled directly, without a boolean. Instead of the additive features used for the cylinder and the groove use the subtractive and vice versa.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
liongate

Post by liongate »

No, it was a cut. It's just difficult to get a good angle of view that reflects the cavity. I figured it out though. It was the component I selected for the operation. I selected the bushing instead of the groove that was created from the bushing. Once I selected that properly it worked.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Good to see you solved it. But have a look at your image, it shows a Fuse operation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

liongate wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:04 am .........
Hi liongate, greetings to the Community!
The link below, you can find a workflow that gives an indication of how to model a mold (the one shown in the image) suitable for the injection of plastic for forming pulleys in series.
Link https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62929
Attachments
mold_pulleys2.png
mold_pulleys2.png (365.92 KiB) Viewed 1037 times