Path workbench - routing a sheet, but leaving bridges between outer and inner stock

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nmw01223

Path workbench - routing a sheet, but leaving bridges between outer and inner stock

Post by nmw01223 »

Sorry about the vagueness of this question, but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it.

I use FreeCAD pretty successfully in a simplistic way to create models for 3D printing (exported as STLs), ie CAD, but I am now looking to use it to create the CAM files (gcode) for CNC milling using a small GRBL based CNC router.

So, I'm looking at the Path workbench for the first time.

I'm getting on OK, but I have one thing I cannot see how to do - probably because I don't know what to call it, so cannot find it.

If I have a flat sheet, and I am going to route some shape out from it, I can create a path round the shape using profile. That is fine. But, when it gets right round the shape, the middle is just going to become loose - it will no longer be connected to the outer (clamped) stock material.

Is there a way of routing right round something, except leaving little bridges so the routed out piece does not fall away, but can then be manually snipped off later?
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Path workbench - routing a sheet, but leaving bridges between outer and inner stock

Post by papyblaise »

you want a plate with break points, like a soldier's identity plate
Attachments
point de casse.FCStd
(28.49 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
point de casse.PNG
point de casse.PNG (8.64 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
nmw01223

Re: Path workbench - routing a sheet, but leaving bridges between outer and inner stock

Post by nmw01223 »

Thanks, it appears the way to do this is with a dressup tag, applied to the profile cut. Neat.