How to scaleup a .step object in only one direction?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amarilisppt

Re: How to scaleup a .step object in only one direction?

Post by amarilisppt »

Thanks to mrdic as well; I watched the Youtube video about Instant mesh and will try in a few minutes. That goes to the same direction, indeed.
How do you fill the gaps within freecad (that will be probably my next step!)?
Thansk again to all for your help.
amarilisppt

Post by amarilisppt »

Forgotten to mention about softwares: for Windows 10, please...
amarilisppt

Post by amarilisppt »

Ok with InstantMesh: perfect!
I did the mesh quad simplification. Then, import to Freecad, but only the "alias mesh" option works well (not the .obj). What should I do now, as the faces are not recognized? Thanks (I am starting with those tools, thus sorry if this is obvious for you...)
Thanks
amarilisppt

Post by amarilisppt »

Perhaps more details, sorry: if I import the new simplied qud-mesh in the Mesh menu, that is OK. But, then, for shape, then solid building, again, it leads to tri- and not quads anymore. Ok the initial mesh has been largely simplified, that is already one positive step. But is it not possible to maintain the quad?
Thanks
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

point cloud

under "see also" you have cloudcompare, not a user myself, but would be very surprised if it was not possible to do it all there

meshlab will do it as well, it might take a while to get used to ml though, and workflows sometimes are a bit awkward (there is for example not cut command, but you can essentially do the same by putting facets on different layers).

blender is another alternative, also a quite daunting user interface

once you have a tidy pointcloud/mesh, fc will easily cut and transform that. tidy here means that a remesh algo is run for simplifying the whole thing (read less points).
when it comes to the filling you will have to help it by adding triangles manually so that the gap to fill is "squared off" - the algo will be on strike if the required amount of facets to fill the hole is too large, same goes for too large curvature (in other words, it will not fill anything that goes 360 deg).

my tools of choice, meshlab for simplifying, fc Mesh_Workbench for the cut/transform/fill, the needed commands are listed at the wiki (and transform is just right-click->transform in treeview and drag it).
however this is just because I know enough to get it done that way, not necessarily because that is the best choice of toolset to use.
amarilisppt

Post by amarilisppt »

Hi to all!
Just to thank everyone who gave tips and advices on this topic that is now solved!
1. InstantMesh to simplify the intial scanned mesh
2. Import under FC/Mesh + some mesh repair, etc...
2. Converted to shape and solid
3. Upper faces identification through Draft/Facebinder
4. Extrusion of those faces
5. New solid ready.
Again, thanks to each of you!
Best regards