Sketch not applied to part body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
csetera

Sketch not applied to part body

Post by csetera »

I'm struggling to consistently get my Part Design bodies and associated sketches set up properly. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong when creating the part and, even more importantly, how to fix the situation. The sketch looks like this:
sketch.png
sketch.png (56.88 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
The resulting body:
face.png
face.png (16.08 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
What can I do to salvage this sketch? Any idea what I'm doing when I set up the original part and sketch so I can try to avoid this situation in the future? The design is attached.

Thanks,
Craig
Attachments
pi_with_ups.FCStd
(65.88 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Sketch not applied to part body

Post by drmacro »

The first thing to do is DON'T mix Part and Part Design workbenches until you understand the rules of how to do so.

Start in one or the other and learn it, then move to the other.

I can't really grok what you want to accomplish with this model. You currently have 5 separate solids. Well, actually 4, because the ones highlighed below are a single Part workbench solid...
Snip macro screenshot-7db73d.png
Snip macro screenshot-7db73d.png (118.49 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Construction mode edges are not used in a Pad.
csetera

Post by csetera »

drmacro wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:41 pm The first thing to do is DON'T mix Part and Part Design workbenches until you understand the rules of how to do so.

Start in one or the other and learn it, then move to the other.

I can't really grok what you want to accomplish with this model. You currently have 5 separate solids. Well, actually 4, because the ones highlighed below are a single Part workbench solid...
I'm trying to design and test in smaller pieces that I'm testing on my 3d printer. Whether this is the best workflow, I don't know. I'm trying to design one side of a case at a time. I'm testing horizontal "slices" of those walls for fit before trying to put all of the pieces together into a final case design.

Ignoring whether or not I'm using the best workflow, the issue I have right now is the blank "wall". The other parts were intentionally hidden while I was working on the wall and can be safely ignored at this point. For what it is worth, I do believe I understand conceptually how these different tools are supposed to work together. The primary issue right now is around a part design workflow versus the use of those designs.
csetera

Post by csetera »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:44 pm Construction mode edges are not used in a Pad.
I'm only using those edges for other constraints. The rectangles are what I expect to be cut out of the pad.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

The only rectangle I see that is not construction mode is the outer rectangle.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

csetera wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:47 pm ... The primary issue right now is around a part design workflow versus the use of those designs.
Then I simply do not not understand you question. If you convert the holes to geometry rather than reference geometry (and get rid of the 0mm dimensional constraints), it works as expected.
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-486df2.png
Snip macro screenshot-486df2.png (115.53 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
csetera

Post by csetera »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:53 pm The only rectangle I see that is not construction mode is the outer rectangle.
Ahh crap. I know what happened. I switched to construction geometry to set the initial horizontal lines and then forgot to switch back. So stupid! While I'm slowly getting better with FreeCAD, I'm still clearly a newbie. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
csetera

Post by csetera »

drmacro wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm Then I simply do not not understand you question. If you convert the holes to geometry rather than reference geometry (and get rid of the 0mm dimensional constraints), it works as expected.
Thanks... I didn't realize I had not toggled back from construction geometry. (see my other response in the thread)

Craig
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

If you hides the pad and show the sketch (space bar), you see the result sketch : a simple rectangle.