Sketch not applied to part body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Sketch not applied to part body

Post by drmacro »

csetera wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:04 pm
drmacro wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm Then I simply do not not understand you question. If you convert the holes to geometry rather than reference geometry (and get rid of the 0mm dimensional constraints), it works as expected.
Thanks... I didn't realize I had not toggled back from construction geometry. (see my other response in the thread)

Craig
Yes, well, not having geometry is definitely an issue. :mrgreen:

But, be aware using 0mm dimensional constraints is not a good practice. In fact, it will most likely bite when you least expect. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
csetera

Post by csetera »

drmacro wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 pm
Yes, well, not having geometry is definitely an issue. :mrgreen:

But, be aware using 0mm dimensional constraints is not a good practice. In fact, it will most likely bite when you least expect. ;)
I'm assuming you are referring to the places I connected the rectangles to the construction lines? Out of interest, how might that bite me and what is the proper way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks again,
Craig
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

csetera wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:08 pm
I'm assuming you are referring to the places I connected the rectangles to the construction lines? Out of interest, how might that bite me and what is the proper way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks again,
Craig
Constrain one vertex to the construction line with constrain point onto object, Image

You should always favour geometric constraints over dimensional constraints. This is because geometrical constraints are less compute intensive.

A 0mm dimensional constraint, won't necessarily maintain horizontal/vertical of the dimensioned edge when the solver solves. This is likely to cause, unexpected results.
Snip macro screenshot-2f3c62.png
Snip macro screenshot-2f3c62.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."