Automatic holes

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keltel

Automatic holes

Post by keltel »

Hello.

I have just started with FreeCAD. I am wanting to make a mounting plate with various bits of gear attached. As an example I'd like to add a bearing block which requires the main hole and 4 mounting holes. Is there a way to generate those holes automatically in the mounting plate and have them move as I move the bearing block, rather than manually create 5 pockets each time?

TIA. Kel.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Automatic holes

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sounds as if you should model only one hole and then use a PolarPattern.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
keltel

Post by keltel »

Thank you.

If I then manually move the bearing block those holes in the mounting plate will not move with it. I guess I am looking to somehow reference the holes in the mounting plate to the bearing block. Can this be done?
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

if your question is if you have 2 independent "parts" (block/plate) and they then are to have the same hole pattern, can that pattern be made once?

the answer is in the question... they are independent, so no it can not be made once.

one can make a link though, so that the second knows what the first one is and does, thus automagically follows.
that can be achieved through Expressions or spreadsheets from Spreadsheet_Workbench
suppose one can use "shapebinders" as well, but we know nothing about how you created your model, and cad-modelling is all about the details...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If your block is sketch based, then you can well reference from hole sketch the block sketch and place the holes relative to that.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

storing holes it may not be the good idea you are going to make holes in the motherboard (joke) :lol:
imagine storing holes in your garden, you will have to cover with plywood to walk there (rejoke) :lol:
In my own way :!: : you create a group composed of bearing (body bearing) and holes (body001holes) by attaching them to a support sheet otherwise crash (multi objects prohibited)
you create a new drawing of the plate, you reopen the group file, by carbon copy you copy the body hole and you subtract boolean
I only managed to do it in PartWb
Attachments
plate.FCStd
(29.36 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
groupe.FCStd
(35.42 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
drilled plate.PNG
drilled plate.PNG (13.98 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
bearing.PNG
bearing.PNG (27.06 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

keltel wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 am
is that a possibility for you? (fast and non-parametric)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_jSzYOTNBQ

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad