Using construction lines.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rascalito

Using construction lines.

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

Thanks again for all yesterday's replies. That was very helpful.
Today, I have another problem regarding construction lines. I found out that I can also
align objects by using construction lines, and that's what I tried to do.
It greatly simplifies the design, but there are still 14 degrees of freedom. When I click
on "14 degrees", it highlights the end of the axes. I have 7 axes, so 14 degrees of freedom
seems reasonable, but why is that? This is unused information, and I don't need to define
them. Will it be a problem? If I define the lengths, it will overload the drawing with useless
information.

Another question: Until now, when I'm drawing pockets, I'm doing "one depth one sketch",
but I was wondering if I can draw more than one depth with the same sketch. Is it possible?
For example on a single sketch (single plane), if I draw 2 holes, one which is 1 mm deep and
the next one which is 10. Is it possible?

Thanks,

Pascal
Olav

Re: Using construction lines.

Post by Olav »

rascalito wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:33 am Another question: Until now, when I'm drawing pockets, I'm doing "one depth one sketch",
Personally I think that's still the most sensible approach.

but I was wondering if I can draw more than one depth with the same sketch. Is it possible?
For example on a single sketch (single plane), if I draw 2 holes, one which is 1 mm deep and
the next one which is 10. Is it possible?
Actually it is. You can pocket the one sketch with the two holes to 1mm. Then select the face at the bottom of one of the holes and pocket it another 9mm.

Or in other words you don't always need a sketch to do a pocket or pad.

Whether that is "best practice" and won't trigger topological naming issues, I will leave to the experts.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

rascalito wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:33 am This is unused information, and I don't need to define
them. Will it be a problem? If I define the lengths, it will overload the drawing with useless
information.
See https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sketcher_ConstrainBlock and as an alternative approach to your second question then possibly https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sketcher_CarbonCopy.

The community has invested countless hours, days, weeks etc in the Wiki, there's a serious amount of information including tutorials, worth spending some time reading the relevant areas.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Give us your file (or just the sketch)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Olav wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 am Whether that is "best practice" and won't trigger topological naming issues, I will leave to the experts.
It is better to use the sketch a second time to avoid the said problems. The same sketch will then occur twice in the tree. For counterbores you can use the hole feature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Olav

Post by Olav »

chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:18 am
Olav wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 am Whether that is "best practice" and won't trigger topological naming issues, I will leave to the experts.
It is better to use the sketch a second time to avoid the said problems. The same sketch will then occur twice in the tree. For counterbores you can use the hole feature.
I know you can use a sketch more than once but I don't understand how that would result (in this case) in different depths for the pockets. Can you please explain?

To be clear this is the method I described previously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwngDEy5qI
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Olav wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:39 am
chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:18 am
I know you can use a sketch more than once but I don't understand how that would result (in this case) in different depths for the pockets. Can you please explain?

To be clear this is the method I described previously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwngDEy5qI
The method @chrisb describes would (I think) allow a second depth to be specified, amounting to an additional depth for the holes in the sketch.

The method in the video, while it works, is, at this point, almost guaranteed to produce TNP and is thus not recommended workflow.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
rascalito

Post by rascalito »

Hello!
The community has invested countless hours, days, weeks etc in the Wiki, there's a serious amount of
information including tutorials, worth spending some time reading the relevant areas.
Without doubt! I have been postponing my first design for ages, because to be frank, I was scared by
the number of icons of the interface. But last week I was cornered, and I had to give it a run. I have some
electronics to put in a nuke-proof box, and I made this. All defined the hard way except that I used
parametric design with a spreadsheet, and within a day I sent everything to the CNC center, so yes,
making complex design that simple hints about how much time has been spent into this software.
Screenshot from 2021-10-18 21-37-19.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-18 21-37-19.png (61.63 KiB) Viewed 1643 times

Now I'm trying to redesign everything in a better way, try to define once only the common parts, etc...
Now I'm aware I'm asking newbie question because that's what I am, a 2 days practice newbie. Sorry
about it, I hope I will improve fast.
Maybe I don't search with the right vocabulary, but anyway I google before asking, and I found already
a lot in various wikis.

Regards,

Pascal
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

More data, more answers.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Example for reuse of sketch:
SnipScreenshot-ab5eab.png
SnipScreenshot-ab5eab.png (29.7 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Attachments
multiSketchUsage.FCStd
(18.4 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.