Tree features disappear when importing step

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
domcoc

Tree features disappear when importing step

Post by domcoc »

Hi, I'm a new FreeCAD user
I want to convert a step file obtained from CATIA V5 to an obj format. The problem is, when I import the step file, I cannot see the entire feature tree and the entire model is contained in only one feature (see link below)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qIa3yh ... sp=sharing

Fun fact: for few seconds after I import the file, I can see the entire feature tree, than, after 2-3 seconds, for some reason they all disappear and the whole geometry is contained in only one feature. I've googled for days to find a solution but not found anything
How can I fix such issue?
Thanks
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Tree features disappear when importing step

Post by jmaustpc »

The settings in your preferences effect that. Go to Part WB first, then edit menu ...preferences...import/export...step tab.

How exactly did you import the file? There are different ways within FreeCAD.

Please follow the instructions in the forum rules link above this forum, and post your version data in the manner explained.

A tip. You can directly attach an image to your post. Look bellow the text window when editing/creating a post, click on the Attachments tab and select "add files", once you have uploaded the image, you can then click on a display in line button that appears next to it.
domcoc

Re: Tree features disappear when importing step

Post by domcoc »

Hello, thanks for the answer! As you said I've checked the Import/Export prefs and I changed the Mode field from Single Document to Assembly per document and than the tree seems to show all the features. I'm still not sure on what is the correct workflow to do but surely this is a way to do the job.
Thanks again