Frequent crashes.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rascalito

Frequent crashes.

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

Freecad crashes repeatedly. Sometimes I can work an hour without a single problem, but right now
it keeps crashing all the time.
Ubuntu21.10
Freecad, the latest I found.

Is there something I can try to fix it? For example a file, possibly corrupted, that I should delete somewhere?
Or would it be worth trying a weekly build of 0.20?

Thanks,

Pascal
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Frequent crashes.

Post by Shalmeneser »

rascalito wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:58 pm Or would it be worth trying a weekly build of 0.20?
I have no problem with weekly, just pleasure.
https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php > FreeCAD weekly builds page.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:01 pm ...
I have no problem with weekly, just pleasure.
https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php > FreeCAD weekly builds page.
On Ubuntu 21.10...released 4 days ago?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
rascalito

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

Thanks for your reply. You're right, it looks like it works fine, and there are a few improvements, icon for files
that make the navigation easier.

By the way, the spreadsheet tool is extremely slow. When I enter one label, then press tab to enter the value,
it takes about 5 seconds between the tab press and the actual move. Is this normal or is there anything to do
to make it more responsive?

Thanks,

Pascal
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I appreciate you asking all those questions recently. However, please use the wiki and the linked tutorials and than ask questions please. We're not here to serve everything on a silver plate for free.

If you'd like someone to confirm a possible bug, provide your full FreeCAD information, an example file and a step-by-step guide on how to reproduce the observed behavior. I highly recommend to read through the thread linked in the big red banner at the top! "The latest I could find" is not a useful information ;)

edit
The part regarding the spreadsheet can be found in the wiki: Spreadsheet_Workbench#Complex_models_and_recomputes
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

drmacro wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:15 pm On Ubuntu 21.10...released 4 days ago?
:oops:
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

does it make sense that freecad restricts itself to the lts versions?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:48 pm does it make sense that freecad restricts itself to the lts versions?
No. Why should we prevent a user from using FreeCAD only because he uses a more recent OS?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:48 pm does it make sense that freecad restricts itself to the lts versions?
No
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

rascalito wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:37 pm By the way, the spreadsheet tool is extremely slow.
The spreadsheet is often a central point where global dimensions are held. That menas that every sketch and every feature can depend on it. The recompute mechanism tracks only object dependencies and thus on every change of a data field the whole model is recomputed; independent from the objects being affected by the data change or not. If the model is big - and even more so if you have small values for Angular deflection and Deviation - then it can become tedious to just change a few cells.

You can improve things by using multiple spreadsheets.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.