How to see coordinates of and/or move a Point?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Fran_iii

How to see coordinates of and/or move a Point?

Post by Fran_iii »

I'm learning FreeCad v0.19 on Windows 10 and working through a number of intro videos.
- Using the Parts Workbench and working on the x,y plane I place a "Point" at a random position on the x,y plane.
- Question 1: How do I display the coordinates of that single point (or a point on a shape) in either 2d or 3d space?
- Question 2: How do I relocate the point to a specific location on the x,y plane? Or in 3D space?
Thanks for any help.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: How to see coordinates of and/or move a Point?

Post by drmacro »

Fran_iii wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:41 pm I'm learning FreeCad v0.19 on Windows 10 and working through a number of intro videos.
- Using the Parts Workbench and working on the x,y plane I place a "Point" at a random position on the x,y plane.
Using Part workbench you create primitives or extrude a sketch, then move the solid to the desired location, with the transform tool, the Edit>Placement menu, or adjust the placement properties in the Properties view.
- Question 1: How do I display the coordinates of that single point (or a point on a shape) in either 2d or 3d space?
If you hover over an edge or vertex the coordinates are displayed in the status bar.
- Question 2: How do I relocate the point to a specific location on the x,y plane? Or in 3D space?
Thanks for any help.
Transform tool is used to move solids objects in 3D space.

Vertices are moved by changing the sketch (which is a 2D plane) or in the case of a point object, the Draft workbench tools that allow snapping (this assumes you are not using a sketch to define your solid and are create 3D geometry (not solids) in Draft workbench.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Fran_iii wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:41 pm ... and working through a number of intro videos. ...
Which ones ?
Fran_iii

Post by Fran_iii »

Thanks for the replay and the tips & info.

In the process I discovered an alternate solution that works in Part Design/Sketcher...

Part Design/Sketcher Tip:
Question 1: How to display the coordinates of a point?
Answer: Click the point then click on the "Lock" icon...
and the coordinates will appear.

Question 2: How to relocate the point to a specific location?
Answer: Click on the Lock Constraints and change them to the new position.
Optionally: After moving it you can delete the "Lock" constraints and your sketch will remain in the new position.

Everybody probably already knew this... but now, I know it too :-)