Moving A Sketch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ccx004

Moving A Sketch

Post by ccx004 »

I am struggling to do the simplest thing in Freecad and I have to say on the point of giving up but I thought I would make one last effort.

I have watched countless videos of people doing things in Freecad but there doesn't seem to be any good training material. Is there a proper book on the subject?

Anyway, how do you move a sketch? It seems to be virtually impossible or a matter of luck. However, it would be a pretty useless cad package that didn't have such a facility. If I explain what I am doing perhaps it will make more sense.

I create a new document, create a body and create a sketch. I draw a square on the X-Y plane. I then draw a circle on the Y-Z plane and, apart from giving it a radius, I do not constrain it in anyway. In the Model view the circle is called "Sketch001". I click on it and expand "Placement" and "Position. I can see values for X, Y and Z there. They are all 0.00. This is strange for a start as I drew the circle at some random point on the Y-Z plane and certainly not at (0, 0, 0). Even though the circle's position is not constrained, I cannot change the values for X, Y or Z. This seems incredibly counter intuitive to me. I use KiCAD a lot and in that I can click on a component and move it around as much as I like but Freecad doesn't seem to allow that whether the component is constrained or not.

Any suggestions for a book or for this particular problem will be very gratefully received.

Best wishes....
Colin
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Moving A Sketch

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

In your case the sketches are attached on the planes, and relative to this Attachment the origin of the sketch is at (0,0,0). If you want to move the origin of the sketch, move its Attachment Offset - or attach it to something else.

There are more bad than good videos out there, and even more are very bad. Have a look at e.g. drmacro's tutorials which you find in his signature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

ccx004 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:44 am
hallo colin

is that useful for you? (also works with older versions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HVsQ_jq6CU

phpBB [video]

Greetings Thomas

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25997 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 77b198048a63f1e9ca15eef64c8042d599a14cf3
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
ccx004

Post by ccx004 »

Hi Thomas and Chrisb,

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at the link you sent tonight and also have a search for the drmarco's tutorials. I agree about the quality of a lot of stuff on Youtube. Sometimes they look more like people showing off than trying to explain what they are doing. Still, they can do it and I can't so perhaps that's why they annoy me.

Best wishes....
Colin
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

ccx004 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:45 am Hi Thomas and Chrisb,

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at the link you sent tonight and also have a search for the drmarco's tutorials. I agree about the quality of a lot of stuff on Youtube. Sometimes they look more like people showing off than trying to explain what they are doing. Still, they can do it and I can't so perhaps that's why they annoy me.

Best wishes....
Colin
See the link in my signature below. ;)

|
|
\/
\/
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
ccx004

Post by ccx004 »

Hi Drmacro,

Thanks for the Freecad guides. I'll have a look at these tomorrow.

Best wishes....
Colin