trying to do a sweep. what am i doing wrong?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rek

trying to do a sweep. what am i doing wrong?

Post by rek »

trying-to-sweep.jpg
trying-to-sweep.jpg (60.22 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
trying to put a raised profile around a pocket or a hole.

i created a profile to sweep as well as a path but all i get is a red shape that will not work. no idea why.

I made a simple project file to illustrate the problem.

first i tried using the path that is the basis of the pocket. that didn't work so I created a redundant path to sweep along. also did not work.

what am i thinking? why is what i am thinking wrong?
trying_to_sweep_what_am_i_doing_wrong.FCStd
(17.46 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
edit: ok, i'm using sweep wrongly, i should be using 'revolve' but i didn't know it existed until now :)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: trying to do a sweep. what am i doing wrong?

Post by chrisb »

You used the subtractive pipe instead of the yellow additive.

It is recommended to use the simplest tool possible. Which in this case would be a revolve, not a sweep (Pad is simpler than Revolve is simpler than Sweep and Loft).

It looks to me as if this feature should rather belong to the first body?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

your initial idea is good, like chrisb said you have to addpipe
rotating will pose the problem of the center of rotation which is not Y
Attachments
collet.PNG
collet.PNG (16.73 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
rek

Post by rek »

thanks

got it with rotate, but will try pipe later.

here's the freecad file i've been pecking at for several days now:
draw_raised_area_on_angled_face_on_top.FCStd
(46.73 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
i was able to make one raised circle of 2 that i need because it was at a 90 degree axis. but i have another donut to draw that is on an angled face. best practice to draw a 3d feature on to an angled face? I will search in the meantime. i want the angled face to become a plane that i can use in my geometry to draw at a 90 degree z axis to the plane of that flat face. I can draw on it at a bird's eye view but i don't know how to get a side view of that in order to draw a profile that i can subsequently rotate or pipe.
how_do_i_sketch_a_pipe_profile_on_the_above_angled_face.jpg
how_do_i_sketch_a_pipe_profile_on_the_above_angled_face.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
I struggled quite a bit to make a sketch that is kind of in the right place, but i closed the green constrained sketch and now it's missing. any idea why that might be? (in the attached file, it says "profile to rotate but it's missing) and even if i do get the round thing made, i have no idea how to get it to align so it sits precisely over the hole in that part, which is why i would like to treat the angled face as if it is a plane that i can use as a reference.
the_missing_sketch.jpg
the_missing_sketch.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
also, with regard to the terribly intimidating tree view, the only way i can work with FC right now is if i ignore the tree view as much as possible, and work by clicking on the graphics instead and hoping the operations work and that freecad will automatically put the tree view together. Anything else and I break the model and have to start over.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

My best Yoda: "Tree view your friend is." :mrgreen:

If it distracts you, you should ask more about it because it is essential to understanding what is going on I your model.

;)

Please discuss what you find confusing so we can help.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
rek

Post by rek »

drmacro wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:27 am My best Yoda: "Tree view your friend is." :mrgreen:

If it distracts you, you should ask more about it because it is essential to understanding what is going on I your model.

;)

Please discuss what you find confusing so we can help.
Right now I'm looking for a way to build perpendicularly from a face in a model that is at an angle. The only thing I can think of is to rotate the model so that the face is coplanar to the original xy plane and then working on it. also in my previous post, I made a green sketch and when I closed the sketcher, the green sketch i made apparently disappeared and I was wondering what that means.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

rek wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:43 am ...

Right now I'm looking for a way to build perpendicularly from a face in a model that is at an angle. The only thing I can think of is to rotate the model so that the face is coplanar to the original xy plane and then working on it.
Hmm...the way to do that at this point is with techniques discussed here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Basic_Attachment_Tutorial

In general you create the sketch on a base plane and adjust it's attachment to the desired position.

You can also select the face you wish to work on and create a sketch. The sketch will automatically be attached perpendicularly to the face.
But, at this time, this is not a recommended workflow because of a modelling issue called Topological Naming Problem.

See these for more details:
Topological naming problem
Advice for creating stable models
also in my previous post, I made a green sketch and when I closed the sketcher, the green sketch i made apparently disappeared and I was wondering what that means.
It probably means you used construction lines (blue) in the sketch. They are invisible outside the Sketcher.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
rek

Post by rek »

the problem with just selecting a face and working on it is that i can make a sketch that i can turn into a pad, but i don't know how to put something perpendicular from that face.

i could make a pad and then chamfer it to look like the simple profile i made, but i will look into those links to see what they say, thanks.

and the sketch i made showed up after reopening my project, it must have been some kind of rendering issue.

thanks for the tips, tips are great.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

With a master sketch.
Attachments
Sweet sweet sweet.FCStd
(56.24 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Capture du 2021-10-19 19-02-12.png
Capture du 2021-10-19 19-02-12.png (56.43 KiB) Viewed 1314 times