Assembling Model from pre-defined separate parts by linking

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vagulus

Re: Assembling Model from pre-defined separate parts by linking

Post by Vagulus »

Zolko wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 am where did you get this-one from ?
I don't remember. I looked at a whole lot of stuff when I was at the very start with FC. There is a lot of Tutorial Documentation out there and what with version changes and basic misconception on the part of the tutorial writers a lot of it is useless if not simply wrong! Perhaps one of the FC Gurus will take up the challenge of weeding the garden, so to speak! :shock:

Are you suggesting that FC Users should forget about 'Parts' altogether? Is there some function for which they are essential? Perhaps the next version should not have them at all!

Anyway, I can always prototype the hard way - printing and assembling physical parts.
"It is much harder to simplify than to complicate."
Joseph Kimble
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Vagulus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 am Are you suggesting that FC Users should forget about 'Parts' altogether?
Parts are good – even necessary – for assemblies and multi-bodies. Heck, Assembly4's "Assembly" is a Std_Part. It's also necessary for complex designs, like surface design.

But if you design a "normal" part, then a PartDesign Body is the better choice. It's closer to a classical "Part" as in other CAD software.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

Thanks.
I guess I'll get my head around it eventually. Next time I do a substantial project I'll do a lot of things differently.

FTR: I've always been confused by the FC nomenclature. In FC a Part is made up of Bodies but me, my Body is made up of Parts; a car Body is made up of Parts; etc!
"It is much harder to simplify than to complicate."
Joseph Kimble